Green plantains (pachakaya)are very popular in south India. In malabar area we used to call upperi for thoran or mezhukkupuratti.But in central part of kerala, Upperi is Banana chips:).you can make upperi with long beans,carrot,yam,bittergourd, etc…This side dish goes well with rice and curd
- Raw Plantain(Banana) – 3
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Shallots – 7
- Green chilly ( cut lengthwise) – 3
- Dry red chilly – 4
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves
- Peel off plantain and cut into small pieces.
- Boil with little salt and turmeric powder till soft.
- Heat oil in a pan. splutter mustard seeds,curry leaves and dry red chilly.
- Add chopped shallots,green chilly and saute well.
- Add boiled plantain and stir slowly.
- Add grated coconut(grind it to a coarse paste) to it and mix well.
- Garnish with curry leaves.