- Moong dal(cherupayar parippu) – 250 gms
- Jaggery(sharkara) – 500 gms
- Ghee – 100 gms
- cardamom powder – 1 tbsp
- Coconut – 2
- Coconut slices (thengakothu) – 2 tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 8
- Dry ginger powder(chukku podi) – 1 tsp
- Wash and clean daal and in a wide pan dry roast till light brown in color. pressure cook with sufficient water. Mash well and and keep aside .
- Fry cashewnuts in ghee and keep aside.
- Using a blender, blend grated coconut with 1/2 cup of luke warm water . squeeze out to extract first milk. sieve it and keep aside.put the coconut residue back into the blender and add 3 cups of water to it and blend well.squeeze out and pass it through a sieve to extract 2nd milk. Again add 4 cups of water to coconut and blend . squeeze out and sieve it to extract 3rd milk.
- To make jaggery syrup(sharkara paani) Melt jaggery by adding 1 cup of water and heat on low flame .strain to remove impurities if any. (The jaggery i got from shop is golden brown in color. In kerala we use dark brown colored jaggery for making payasam)
- Add melted jaggery to previously cooked daal and mix well.Add ghee to it and stir continuously for 3-4 minutes.
- Add 3rd extracted coconut milk(moonaam paal) to it and boil. when it starts thickening and becomes half add the second extracted coconut milk(randaam paal) cook on low flame for sometime.
- Finally add first extracted coconut milk to it and stir well.Don?t boil . Remove from heat.
- Add cardamom powder,dry ginger powder to it and mix.
- Heat ghee in a pan and fry coconut slices till brown in color.
- Garnish with fried cashewnuts and coconut pieces.
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]Parippu Pradhaman (Moong Daal Kheer),