Kori Sukka comes from the Bunt community,Hindis from Mangalore in South India.
During my recent visit to the library, i found an interesting cook book about the favourite recipes of Bollywood stars.This recipe is adapted from the “The Bollywood Cookbook” by Bulbul Mankani.Even bollywood stars are also wonderful cooks.:)This spicy dry chicken curry is from Bollywood Action Hero Suneil Shetty’s Kitchen. This goes well with rice or roti.Enjoy!
- Chicken(skinless) – 1 kg
- Onion(finely chopped,large) – 1 1/2
- Grated Coconut –1
- Coriander seeds –3tbsp
- Turmeric powder –3/4 tsp
- Black Peppercorns – 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds –1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
- Poppy Seeds – 1 tsp
- Dry red chilly (roasted) – 6
- Tamarind paste – 1tbsp
- Garlic cloves – 4
- Cumin seeds – 1 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves –3 sprigs
- Ghee or Butter- 3 tbsp
- Heat 1/2 tbsp of ghee or butter in a Pan.Roast coriander seeds,turmeric powder,black peppercorns,fennel,fenugreek and poppy seeds. Once the aroma starts to rise,turn off the heat and let it cool.
- Add the whole red chillies(dry roast for about 3 minutes on a griddle),tamarind paste and grind it to a paste.Keep aside.The actual recipe calls for 15 red chillies. if you want it more spicy you can add it.
- Grind together grated coconut,garlic and cumin seeds into a coarse dry paste without adding water.
- Mix the chicken pieces with the first paste and leave it for 10-15minutes.
- In a large frying pan with a lid,heat 1 1/2 tbsp of ghee or butter add the marinated chicken pieces and stir well.Cook on medium flame without adding water.Open and stir occasionally.
- Once it is cooked well,add the coconut paste and salt.cover and cook for 5 more minutes.
- In a small pan, heat the remaining ghee,add curry leaves and fry .add the chopped onions and fry until light brown.Pour this as a garnish over the dry chicken mix.
- serve hot with rice or roti.This serves for 6 people