This is prepared using raw papaya and daal in a coconut mix. The papaya tree is commonly found in the back yards of each and every household of Kerala. It is known as omakka,kappalanga or as karamoosa or karothukaaya in Malabar side of Kerala.
- Raw Papaya(small) –1
- Toor daal (tuvara parippu) – 1/4 cup
- Turmeric powder r- 3/4 tsp
- Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Cumin seeds (jeerakam) – 1 /4 tsp
- Green Chilly – 4
- Shallots –2
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Shallots(cut into round pieces) – 4
- Curry leaves
- Water – 1 1/2 cup
- peel off the skin of papaya and remove the seeds. Wash it thoroughly and cut into small pieces.
- Grind together grated coconut,cumin seeds,green chilly,turmeric powder and shallots into a fine paste.
- In a pressure cooker,add toor daal,1/2 tsp. turmeric powder,papaya cubes,salt and water.cook for 1 whistle.
- Once it is cool,open the lid and add the coconut mix to it. Stir well.let it boil .check for salt.
- Remove from fire.
- Heat oil in a pan.Splutter mustard seeds.Add chopped shallots,curry leaves and once shallots turns brown,add the seasonings to the curry.
- Serve with Rice.