Papaya is rich in vitamin C and it can be eaten raw or ripe. I have read somewhere that papaya seeds are edible and can be used as substitute for spice in curries.In Kerala ,we make papaya thoran,papaya pickle and never tried payasam with papaya. For this vishu, I am going to share a sweet and yummy papaya payasam.
- Papaya/Omakka (ripe/cut into small cubes) – 1/2kg/2 cups
- Sago/chowari (soak in water) – 5 tbsp
- Jaggery (grated) – 1 cup
- Coconut Milk(2nd extracted Milk) – 11/2 cups
- coconut milk(1st extracted) – 1 cup
- Cardamom Powder – 1tsp
- Sugar – 4 tbsp or add according to your sweet taste.
- Milk Powder – 3 tbsp
- Cashews – 8
- Raisins – 10
- Ghee – 5 tbsp
- Papaya pieces – to Garnish
- Wash and peel off the outer skin of papaya.Discard the black seeds.chop papaya into small pieces.In a blender,Grind into a fine paste.
- Boil 1/2 cup water in a pan and melt jaggery till watery. then strain the impurities and keep aside.
- Soak sago in water for sometime.Boil 1/2 cup water and let sago turns translucent.
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a thick bottomed pan.Usually in Kerala we use Uruli for making payasams.
- Add papaya paste to it and saute till dry.Add jaggery water and sago to it and stir well.Instead of sago you can add Rice Ada.
- Once it starts to separate from pan, add 2nd extracted coconut milk .Add 1 tbsp of ghee to it and stir slowly.
- Add 4tbsp of sugar to it.
- Once it starts to boil,add milk powder mixed with little milk to it and mix well.Add1 more tbsp ghee to it.
- Once it starts to thicken, add first extracted milk to it and mix well.
- Add cardamom powder to it.Remove from fire. Don’t let the first extracted coconut milk to boil.
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan.Fry cashews and raisins and add it to payasam.
- Garnish with Papaya pieces.
- Serve hot or Chilled.
Kadathanattu Chicken is popular in a place called vadakara ,northern part of Kerala. I got this recipe from “Pachamulaku” cookery show.This is a unique and different style of preparation. Hope you all love this..
- Chicken( cut into medium cubes) – 500 gms
- Ginger – 2” piece
- Garlic – 15
- Green Chilly – 4
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 1 tbsp
- Red Chilly Powder – 2tbsp
- Onion(finely chopped,cut lengthwise) – 2
- Onion(cut into cubes) – 1
- Capsicum(cut into medium cubes) – 1
- Tomato (Take pulp and grind it into juice) – 2
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Chilly Sauce – 1 tsp
- Tomato Sauce – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves(finely chopped) – 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves(chopped) – 2 tbsp
- Grind ginger,garlic and green chilly into a coarse paste. squeeze out the juice and keep aside. Don’t discard the coarse paste mix.
- Marinate chicken with red chilly powder,Kashmiri chilly powder,ginger-garlic-green chilly juice,and salt.set aside for 1 hour.shallow fry chicken pieces till done.
- In the mean time, fry chopped onions till crispy and brown.
- Then saute onions cubes in the oil(the same we used for frying chicken) till light brown.
- Add fried chicken pieces, ginger-garlic-green chilly coarse mix,capsicum,tomato juice,pepper powder and mix well.
- Add chilly sauce,tomato sauce,curry leaves and coriander leaves.Check for salt and add if needed.stir well and cook till dry.
- Remove from fire.
- Serve with Rice or Roti.
I wish all my readers a wonderful year ahead and to start the new year off with a Kerala style spicy mutton roast which goes well with rice or Roti.
- Mutton(cut into medium pieces) – 1/2 kg
- Ginger paste – 2 tbsp
- Garlic paste – 2 tbsp
- Onion(finely chopped) – 2
- Shallots(crushed) – 6
- Tomato – 1
- Meat Masala Powder – 2 tbsp
- kashmiri Red chilly Powder – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1tsp
- Cloves – 3
- Cinnamon stick – 1” piece
- cardamom pods – 2
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves
- Coconut Oil
- In a pressure cooker add mutton pieces,1/4 cup of water,1 tbsp ginger,1 tbsp garlic paste,turmeric powder,shallots and salt. Pressure cook on medium flame for 15 minutes or till mutton is soft.
- Heat oil in a pan.Add clove,cinnamon stick,cardamom, and let it splutter.Add finely chopped onions and saute well.once it turns light brown, add tomato,1 tbsp ginger,1 tbsp garlic paste, to it and fry.
- Add cooked mutton pieces along with stock to it.Add red chilly powder,pepper powder,Meat masala powder to it and stir well.
- Add salt and stir well and roast on high flame till it is dry and dark brown in color.
- Finally add curry leaves and mix well.
- Spicy mutton roast is ready to serve with Rice or Roti