Kadathanattu Chicken is popular in a place called vadakara ,northern part of Kerala. I got this recipe from “Pachamulaku” cookery show.This is a unique and different style of preparation. Hope you all love this..
- Chicken( cut into medium cubes) – 500 gms
- Ginger – 2” piece
- Garlic – 15
- Green Chilly – 4
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 1 tbsp
- Red Chilly Powder – 2tbsp
- Onion(finely chopped,cut lengthwise) – 2
- Onion(cut into cubes) – 1
- Capsicum(cut into medium cubes) – 1
- Tomato (Take pulp and grind it into juice) – 2
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Chilly Sauce – 1 tsp
- Tomato Sauce – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves(finely chopped) – 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves(chopped) – 2 tbsp
- Grind ginger,garlic and green chilly into a coarse paste. squeeze out the juice and keep aside. Don’t discard the coarse paste mix.
- Marinate chicken with red chilly powder,Kashmiri chilly powder,ginger-garlic-green chilly juice,and salt.set aside for 1 hour.shallow fry chicken pieces till done.
- In the mean time, fry chopped onions till crispy and brown.
- Then saute onions cubes in the oil(the same we used for frying chicken) till light brown.
- Add fried chicken pieces, ginger-garlic-green chilly coarse mix,capsicum,tomato juice,pepper powder and mix well.
- Add chilly sauce,tomato sauce,curry leaves and coriander leaves.Check for salt and add if needed.stir well and cook till dry.
- Remove from fire.
- Serve with Rice or Roti.
I wish all my readers a wonderful year ahead and to start the new year off with a Kerala style spicy mutton roast which goes well with rice or Roti.
- Mutton(cut into medium pieces) – 1/2 kg
- Ginger paste – 2 tbsp
- Garlic paste – 2 tbsp
- Onion(finely chopped) – 2
- Shallots(crushed) – 6
- Tomato – 1
- Meat Masala Powder – 2 tbsp
- kashmiri Red chilly Powder – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1tsp
- Cloves – 3
- Cinnamon stick – 1” piece
- cardamom pods – 2
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves
- Coconut Oil
- In a pressure cooker add mutton pieces,1/4 cup of water,1 tbsp ginger,1 tbsp garlic paste,turmeric powder,shallots and salt. Pressure cook on medium flame for 15 minutes or till mutton is soft.
- Heat oil in a pan.Add clove,cinnamon stick,cardamom, and let it splutter.Add finely chopped onions and saute well.once it turns light brown, add tomato,1 tbsp ginger,1 tbsp garlic paste, to it and fry.
- Add cooked mutton pieces along with stock to it.Add red chilly powder,pepper powder,Meat masala powder to it and stir well.
- Add salt and stir well and roast on high flame till it is dry and dark brown in color.
- Finally add curry leaves and mix well.
- Spicy mutton roast is ready to serve with Rice or Roti
Aviyal is prepared using mixed vegetable cooked in curd and coconut paste.This cheera aviyal is an easy preparation of Kerala style aviyal using red amaranth leaves,Drumstick,Raw mango,Cucumber and jackfruit seeds.Do try this different variety of aviyal for festivals like onam or vishu.hope you all enjoy it.
- Red Amaranth Leaves(chuvanna cheera,Red spinach) – 2 cups
- Red Amaranth Stem (lengthwise) – 1 cup
- Cucumber (cut lengthwise) – 2 cups
- Jackfruit seeds (Chakkaakuru) (cut lengthwise into two) – 1 cup
- Raw mango(cut lengthwise) – 1 cup
- Grated Coconut – 1 1/2 cup
- Green chilly – 1
- shallots – 2
- Cumin seeds – 1 pinch
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Red chilly powder – 1tsp
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp.
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Boil 1 cup of water in a pan and cook vegetables like cucumber,red spinach stem.jackfruit seeds.Cover with a lid and cook till all veggies are soft.In the mean time, make a coarse paste of grated coconut,red chilly powder ,green chilly,turmeric powder,cumin seeds and shallots.
- once veggies are done,Add spinach leaves to it and cook for only 5 minutes as leafy vegetables takes less time to cook.
- Add mango pieces to it and mix well.Add coconut paste and salt.
- cover and cook on low flame for another 5 minutes. Remove from fire.
- Add coconut oil and curry leaves to it.Mix well.
- Aviyal is ready to serve as side dish for rice or Porridge.