Papaya is rich in vitamin C and it can be eaten raw or ripe. I have read somewhere that papaya seeds are edible and can be used as substitute for spice in curries.In Kerala ,we make papaya thoran,papaya pickle and never tried payasam with papaya. For this vishu, I am going to share a sweet and yummy papaya payasam.
- Papaya/Omakka (ripe/cut into small cubes) – 1/2kg/2 cups
- Sago/chowari (soak in water) – 5 tbsp
- Jaggery (grated) – 1 cup
- Coconut Milk(2nd extracted Milk) – 11/2 cups
- coconut milk(1st extracted) – 1 cup
- Cardamom Powder – 1tsp
- Sugar – 4 tbsp or add according to your sweet taste.
- Milk Powder – 3 tbsp
- Cashews – 8
- Raisins – 10
- Ghee – 5 tbsp
- Papaya pieces – to Garnish
- Wash and peel off the outer skin of papaya.Discard the black seeds.chop papaya into small pieces.In a blender,Grind into a fine paste.
- Boil 1/2 cup water in a pan and melt jaggery till watery. then strain the impurities and keep aside.
- Soak sago in water for sometime.Boil 1/2 cup water and let sago turns translucent.
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a thick bottomed pan.Usually in Kerala we use Uruli for making payasams.
- Add papaya paste to it and saute till dry.Add jaggery water and sago to it and stir well.Instead of sago you can add Rice Ada.
- Once it starts to separate from pan, add 2nd extracted coconut milk .Add 1 tbsp of ghee to it and stir slowly.
- Add 4tbsp of sugar to it.
- Once it starts to boil,add milk powder mixed with little milk to it and mix well.Add1 more tbsp ghee to it.
- Once it starts to thicken, add first extracted milk to it and mix well.
- Add cardamom powder to it.Remove from fire. Don’t let the first extracted coconut milk to boil.
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan.Fry cashews and raisins and add it to payasam.
- Garnish with Papaya pieces.
- Serve hot or Chilled.
Rasmalai is a sweet dish popular in west Bengal and it is made using paneer balls and then immersed in rich and sweet creamy milk…so this is a perfect sweet dish to try for this Diwali season.
- Paneer – 200 gms
- Milk – 500 ml
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Condensed milk – 2 tbsp
- Water – 2 cups
- Pistachios ( chopped) – 8
- Almonds(chopped) – 8
- cardamom pods(peeled and crushed) – 6
- Saffron strands- a pinch
- Grate paneer cubes and grind well in a blender.Remove from the blender and knead well using hand.Once it is soft and smooth,make small balls out of it.Then flatten into thick disc like shape and keep aside.
- In a wide pan, Boil 2 cups of water along with sugar and 2-3 cardamom pods.Once it starts to boil and sugar dissolves,drop the balls slowly into the syrup and cover and cook for 15 minutes on medium flame. After 10 minutes you can check and see if it is cooked on one side.then gently flip to the other side using a spoon.After15 minutes The paneer balls will be double in size and spongy by then.
- Remove the balls from the syrup and using a spoon ,squeeze each ball to remove the sugar syrup from the rasgullas.Keep aside.
- Do take care not to overcrowd the pan with too many balls.Also if it is not cooked properly,it will break easily.
- For making thickened milk,boil 500 ml of milk in a sauce pan and add 2 tbsp of sugar, cardamom pods,a pinch of saffron stand into it.Once it starts to boil, lower the flame and stir occasionally till the milk reduces to half.
- Add condensed milk,chopped pistachios,chopped almonds to it and finally add the rasgulla balls to it and cook on low flame for 2 minutes.
- Remove from flame.Garnish with chopped pistachios and saffron strands.
- You can refrigerate for a maximum of 4- 5 days.
- Serve chilled.
Normally I make burfi with coconut and cashews..Bread burfi is new to me and when I saw the recipe on Food Food “Teatime with Rakesh Sethi” I wanted to give it a try.This is a must try for this Diwali and kids will definitely love this yummy burfi.
- Bread crumbs(soft) –2 cups
- Milk- 1 cup
- grated coconut – 2 cups
- sugar – 1 cup
- Oil/ghee –4tbsp
- Rose essence- 2-3 drops
- Cashewnuts(chopped) – 10-15
- Soak breadcrumbs in milk for about 10 minutes.
- In a bowl,mix well grated coconut and sugar.
- Heat a non-stick kadai and transfer the above mix to it. stir well on low flame till the sugar melts.
- Add soaked breadcrumbs to it and stir well for about 5- 7 minutes to get mixed well.
- add chopped cashewnuts ,rose essence and ghee to it.
- Cook till the mixture leaves he sides of the pan.
- remove from fire.
- Grease a baking tray and transfer the mix and spread evenly.Let it cool for sometime.Keep in refrigerator for sometime to get set.
- Cut into desired shapes.
- Garnish with cashewnuts.
- Yummy burfi is ready to serve.