Chemmeen Theeyal-Konchu Theeyal-Shrimp Theeyal
its been long time since I posted new recipe on my blog. Being a homemaker, nowadays I am busy with kids and other activities.Few years back,there used to be a time when I post weekly and now I really feel bad for not updating it regularly.
Today I am going to share a easy and authentic Kerala recipe prepared using prawns.Hope all seafood lovers will definitely like this spicy and yummy curry.
- Prawns(deveined) – 500 gms/1 lb.
- Shallots – 15
- Tomato(cut into medium pieces) –1
- Green chilly(slit lengthwise) –3
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red chilly powder – 2 tbsp
- Coriander powder –1 tbsp
- Fenugreek powder(uluva podi) –1 pinch
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Snakegourd(padavalanga,cut into small pieces) – 1 small piece
- Coconut bits(thengakothu) –1 tbsp
- curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Dry Red Chilly -2
- Heat a Manchatti(clay pot) and cook prawns with 1tbsp red chilly powder,turmeric powder,salt ,little water.cover and cook for 5 minutes on medium flame till prawns are cooked well.keep aside
- Heat a pan and roast grated coconut till brown in color. Add 2 shallots , 1 tbsp red chilly powder,1 tbsp coriander powder,a pinch of fenugreek powder to it. Mix well and remove from fire.
- Grind the above mix without adding water.
- Heat coocnut oil in another pan.Saute the remaining chopped shallots,green chilly,snake gourd pieces,coconut bits ,turmeric powder(a pinch),and salt.once it is done add chopped tomato pieces to it.
- Add coconut paste,boiled prawns to it and mix well.
- Add required amount of water to it.Check for salt.
- For seasoning ,Heat a pan and splutter mustard seeds,dry red chilly and curry leaves and add it to the spicy gravy.
- Konchu theeyal is ready to serve with Rice.