Mutton Varattiyathu/Kerala Style Mutton Roast/How To Make Kerala style Mutton Roast
I wish all my readers a wonderful year ahead and to start the new year off with a Kerala style spicy mutton roast which goes well with rice or Roti.
- Mutton(cut into medium pieces) – 1/2 kg
- Ginger paste – 2 tbsp
- Garlic paste – 2 tbsp
- Onion(finely chopped) – 2
- Shallots(crushed) – 6
- Tomato – 1
- Meat Masala Powder – 2 tbsp
- kashmiri Red chilly Powder – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1tsp
- Cloves – 3
- Cinnamon stick – 1” piece
- cardamom pods – 2
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves
- Coconut Oil
- In a pressure cooker add mutton pieces,1/4 cup of water,1 tbsp ginger,1 tbsp garlic paste,turmeric powder,shallots and salt. Pressure cook on medium flame for 15 minutes or till mutton is soft.
- Heat oil in a pan.Add clove,cinnamon stick,cardamom, and let it splutter.Add finely chopped onions and saute well.once it turns light brown, add tomato,1 tbsp ginger,1 tbsp garlic paste, to it and fry.
- Add cooked mutton pieces along with stock to it.Add red chilly powder,pepper powder,Meat masala powder to it and stir well.
- Add salt and stir well and roast on high flame till it is dry and dark brown in color.
- Finally add curry leaves and mix well.
- Spicy mutton roast is ready to serve with Rice or Roti