Rasmalai is a sweet dish popular in west Bengal and it is made using paneer balls and then immersed in rich and sweet creamy milk…so this is a perfect sweet dish to try for this Diwali season.
- Paneer – 200 gms
- Milk – 500 ml
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Condensed milk – 2 tbsp
- Water – 2 cups
- Pistachios ( chopped) – 8
- Almonds(chopped) – 8
- cardamom pods(peeled and crushed) – 6
- Saffron strands- a pinch
- Grate paneer cubes and grind well in a blender.Remove from the blender and knead well using hand.Once it is soft and smooth,make small balls out of it.Then flatten into thick disc like shape and keep aside.
- In a wide pan, Boil 2 cups of water along with sugar and 2-3 cardamom pods.Once it starts to boil and sugar dissolves,drop the balls slowly into the syrup and cover and cook for 15 minutes on medium flame. After 10 minutes you can check and see if it is cooked on one side.then gently flip to the other side using a spoon.After15 minutes The paneer balls will be double in size and spongy by then.
- Remove the balls from the syrup and using a spoon ,squeeze each ball to remove the sugar syrup from the rasgullas.Keep aside.
- Do take care not to overcrowd the pan with too many balls.Also if it is not cooked properly,it will break easily.
- For making thickened milk,boil 500 ml of milk in a sauce pan and add 2 tbsp of sugar, cardamom pods,a pinch of saffron stand into it.Once it starts to boil, lower the flame and stir occasionally till the milk reduces to half.
- Add condensed milk,chopped pistachios,chopped almonds to it and finally add the rasgulla balls to it and cook on low flame for 2 minutes.
- Remove from flame.Garnish with chopped pistachios and saffron strands.
- You can refrigerate for a maximum of 4- 5 days.
- Serve chilled.
Normally I make burfi with coconut and cashews..Bread burfi is new to me and when I saw the recipe on Food Food “Teatime with Rakesh Sethi” I wanted to give it a try.This is a must try for this Diwali and kids will definitely love this yummy burfi.
- Bread crumbs(soft) –2 cups
- Milk- 1 cup
- grated coconut – 2 cups
- sugar – 1 cup
- Oil/ghee –4tbsp
- Rose essence- 2-3 drops
- Cashewnuts(chopped) – 10-15
- Soak breadcrumbs in milk for about 10 minutes.
- In a bowl,mix well grated coconut and sugar.
- Heat a non-stick kadai and transfer the above mix to it. stir well on low flame till the sugar melts.
- Add soaked breadcrumbs to it and stir well for about 5- 7 minutes to get mixed well.
- add chopped cashewnuts ,rose essence and ghee to it.
- Cook till the mixture leaves he sides of the pan.
- remove from fire.
- Grease a baking tray and transfer the mix and spread evenly.Let it cool for sometime.Keep in refrigerator for sometime to get set.
- Cut into desired shapes.
- Garnish with cashewnuts.
- Yummy burfi is ready to serve.
This is my first post of 2013 and I am going to start the new year by sharing a sweet and delicious recipe of Mysore Pak.It is a popular sweet dish prepared using ghee,sugar and gram flour.It is a royal delicacy from Mysore palace and commonly served during festivals like Diwali.
Hope you all will try this soft and delicious Mysore pak at home.
- Besan/Gram flour(kadala maavu) – 1 1/2 cups
- Water – 3/4 cup
- Sugar – 3 cups
- Ghee – 2 1/2 cup
- Baking soda – 2 pinches
- Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in a heavy bottomed pan and roast the gram flour till light brown and nice aroma comes.Once it is cool,sieve the flour.
- Transfer it into a bowl.Add 2-3 tbsp of melted ghee to the flour and mix well to a smooth paste .This is to prevent lumps while adding it to the sugar syrup.
- Heat the same pan and add sugar and water to it.let it boil.
- In the mean time, heat ghee in another pan on low flame.
- Once sugar syrup reaches thread like consistency,(when sugar syrup is placed between thumb and index finger,it should stick to form a string), keep the flame to low and sprinkle flour slowly and keep on stirring.
- Add 1/2 cup ghee to it and keep on stirring.while adding ghee, it will froth up and color changes.
- Add the remaining ghee to it and once the flour absorbs all the ghee and mixture become thick,add baking powder to it.Stir well.
- After adding baking powder,bubbles arise and it starts leaving the sides of the pan.
- Turn off the flame and immediately transfer the hot mix into a greased plate.
- Make sure to spread the mixture evenly on all sides.
- Cut into desired shapes using a knife when it is warm.(Once it is cool it will be too hard to cut it .)
- Let it cool completely and slowly remove the pieces from the plate.
- Store them in a air tight container at room temperature.