This is a perfect side dish to serve with roti and dal curry.
- Cauliflower(cut into florets) – 500 gms
- Onion(medium,chopped) –1
- Tomato(chopped,medium) – 1
- Ginger-garlic paste-1 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder- 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli Powder- 1 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp
- Garam Masala – 1tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1tsp
- Ginger(peeled and cut into strips) –2 “ piece
- Coriander leaves- 2 tbsp
- Oil –2 1/2 tsp
- Water- 1/2 cup
- Salt –to taste
- Heat oil in a pan.Add cumin seeds and fennel seeds.cook stirring until the seeds begins to brown about 30 seconds.
- Add chopped onion and saute till brown.Add ginger-garlic paste,turmeric powder, chilly powder,coriander powder,chopped tomato,salt and 1/4 cup of water.
- Saute for one more minute until the oil leaves the masala.
- Add cauliflower florets and cook stirring until it begins to brown.
- Add the remaining water .Cover and cook until cauliflower florets are tender.
- Add garam masala,ginger and coriander leaves and mix well.Cook until masala is dry.
- Serve hot with Roti and Tadka Dal.
Recipe Source:My Indian Kitchen by Hari Nayak.
This Entry goes to Spotlight-Winter Vegetables hosted by Indrani.
Soy is high in Proteins and it is a good substitute for meat and contains no fat..This is a healthy and spicy dry curry for rotis or rice.
- Cauliflower(medium,cut into florets) – 1 cup
- Soya chunks – 1/2 cup
- Onion(chopped) – 2
- Ginger –Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
- Green Chilly – 2
- Kashmiri Red chilly powder- 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1tsp
- Coriander pwoder –1/2 tsp
- Tomato(chopped) – 1
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds(jeerakam) –1/4 tsp
- Cloves – 2
- Bay leaf –1
- Cinnamon stick – 1/2” piece
- Cardamom – 2
- Coriander leaves
- Soak soy chunks in warm water for 10 minutes and squeeze out the excess water.
- Chop cauliflower into florets and immerse in warm water(add a pinch of turmeric to the warm water) for 2-3 minutes to get rid of germs.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds,cloves,bay leaf,cardamom and cinnamon stick.Let it splutter and once the aroma of fried jeera comes,add chopped onions,ginger-garlic paste and saute till onion turns golden brown
- Add chopped green chilly,chopped tomatoes to it and once tomatoes are soft,add red chilly powder,pepper powder , turmeric powder and coriander powder.
- Mix well and once the oil starts to leave the pan,add soy chunks and cauliflower florets.Add salt to it and Stir well.
- Add 1/2 cup of water to it.Cover and cook for 5-8 minutes till veggies are cooked well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve with rice or Roti
I am sending this to Veggie/ Fruit a Month Event for September- Cauliflower hosted by Priya and Tiffin Carrier Antiques.
Gobhi Bhare tamatar is tomatoes stuffed with cauliflower filling and the filling is sealed with gram flour coating.This recipe is adapted from Nita Mehta’s cook book and it goes great with rice or roti as a side dish.
1.Tomatoes(cut into Halves) – 5
For the Filling
- Cauliflower(medium,grated) – Half piece
- Paneer(chopped finely) 50 gms
- Cumin seeds(jeerakam) – 1/2 tsp
- Ginger(finely grated)-1/4”
- Red chilly powder – 1/4 tsp
- Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
- Amchoor powder –1/4 tsp
- Cashewnuts(chopped) –2 tbsp
- Raisins – 1 tbsp
- Sugar-1/4 tsp
- Besan(Gram Flour) –3 tbsp
- Orange color – a pinch
- Ajwain(carom seeds) – a pinch
- In a Kadai,heat 3 tbsp oil. Add cumin seeds and when it turns golden,add grated ginger and saute for a minute on low flame.
- Add salt, red chilly powder,garam masala powder and amchoor powder.Add cashewnuts and raisins.stir for a few seconds.
- Add grated cauliflower to it and mix well.Add sugar and cover and cook for about 10 minutes,stirring frequently till the cauliflower is cooked well.
- Add chopped paneer and gently mix .Remove from fire.
- Cut firm tomatoes into half.Scoop out the pulp.Rub a little salt inside and keep them upside down for 15 minutes.
- Fill with cauliflower filling.Press well.
- Spread besan in a plate.add a pinch of orange color,salt,and ajwain.Holding the filling side up,invert the tomato in the besan to coat the top of the filling.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil on a tawa. Invert the tomato in hot oil on the tawa with the filling side down.
- Turn after a minute to slightly cook the other side too.
- Keep on fire for a short while or the tomatoes turn limp.
- Turn when the side is done.
- Serve Hot as a side dish.