This is a signature dish of Chef Vikas Khanna and I had read in news long time back that this dish was being served to the President of United states specially for dinner by chef .I was looking for the recipe and finally got it from my blogger friend Mareena.In this recipe, she did some changes to the original one.I followed her recipe and the final outcome was yummy and delicious.This dish is prepared by cutting cauliflower like a tree,then deep fry in oil and serve on top of spicy masala. This is a must try and can be served during parties to surprise the guests.
1.Cauliflower cross section cut in thickness (should look like a tree) 1"
- Ginger-garlic paste -1 tablespoon
- Chilly powder- 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1/2 teaspoon
- Oil – for deep frying
For the masala
Onion (cut into slices) -1/4 cup
Fennel seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Mustard seeds -1/2 teaspoon
Fenugreek seeds -1/2 teaspoon
Nigella seeds(Kalonji) – 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
Asafoetida – 1/4 teaspoon
Ginger-garlic paste – 1/2 teaspoon
Green chillies(chopped) – 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Chilly powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Garam masala – 1/4 teaspoon
- Dried mango powder (Amchoor) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Beaten Curd – 1/2 cup
- Cream – 1/4 cup
- Coriander leaves – to garnish
- Marinate the cauliflower with the ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, chilly powder, oil and salt. Keep aside for 15 minutes. Heat oil in a pan and fry the cauliflower piece wholly, till golden brown. Drain onto an tissue paper and keep aside.If you want, you can bake in an preheated oven at 180 degree c for 15 minutes.
- Heat another pan with 1/2 tablespoon oil. Add the fennel seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, nigella seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida. When they start to crackle, add the onions followed by ginger-garlic paste and chopped green chillies. Saute till the onions turn translucent.
- Add the turmeric powder, chilly powder, garam masala, amchoor powder and stir for a minute. Add curd & cream and mix well. Cook for 3-4 minutes.Remove from fire.
- Take a plate and spoon the gravy to the centre of the plate forming a round shape. Carefully place the fried cauliflower tree in the centre.
- Garnish with coriander leaves
- Serve hot with Roti or Rice.
Recipe Source:Mareenas Recipe collections
This is a perfect side dish to serve with roti and dal curry.
- Cauliflower(cut into florets) – 500 gms
- Onion(medium,chopped) –1
- Tomato(chopped,medium) – 1
- Ginger-garlic paste-1 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder- 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli Powder- 1 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp
- Garam Masala – 1tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1tsp
- Ginger(peeled and cut into strips) –2 “ piece
- Coriander leaves- 2 tbsp
- Oil –2 1/2 tsp
- Water- 1/2 cup
- Salt –to taste
- Heat oil in a pan.Add cumin seeds and fennel seeds.cook stirring until the seeds begins to brown about 30 seconds.
- Add chopped onion and saute till brown.Add ginger-garlic paste,turmeric powder, chilly powder,coriander powder,chopped tomato,salt and 1/4 cup of water.
- Saute for one more minute until the oil leaves the masala.
- Add cauliflower florets and cook stirring until it begins to brown.
- Add the remaining water .Cover and cook until cauliflower florets are tender.
- Add garam masala,ginger and coriander leaves and mix well.Cook until masala is dry.
- Serve hot with Roti and Tadka Dal.
Recipe Source:My Indian Kitchen by Hari Nayak.
This Entry goes to Spotlight-Winter Vegetables hosted by Indrani.
Soy is high in Proteins and it is a good substitute for meat and contains no fat..This is a healthy and spicy dry curry for rotis or rice.
- Cauliflower(medium,cut into florets) – 1 cup
- Soya chunks – 1/2 cup
- Onion(chopped) – 2
- Ginger –Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
- Green Chilly – 2
- Kashmiri Red chilly powder- 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1tsp
- Coriander pwoder –1/2 tsp
- Tomato(chopped) – 1
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds(jeerakam) –1/4 tsp
- Cloves – 2
- Bay leaf –1
- Cinnamon stick – 1/2” piece
- Cardamom – 2
- Coriander leaves
- Soak soy chunks in warm water for 10 minutes and squeeze out the excess water.
- Chop cauliflower into florets and immerse in warm water(add a pinch of turmeric to the warm water) for 2-3 minutes to get rid of germs.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds,cloves,bay leaf,cardamom and cinnamon stick.Let it splutter and once the aroma of fried jeera comes,add chopped onions,ginger-garlic paste and saute till onion turns golden brown
- Add chopped green chilly,chopped tomatoes to it and once tomatoes are soft,add red chilly powder,pepper powder , turmeric powder and coriander powder.
- Mix well and once the oil starts to leave the pan,add soy chunks and cauliflower florets.Add salt to it and Stir well.
- Add 1/2 cup of water to it.Cover and cook for 5-8 minutes till veggies are cooked well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve with rice or Roti
I am sending this to Veggie/ Fruit a Month Event for September- Cauliflower hosted by Priya and Tiffin Carrier Antiques.