Horse gram is a type of legume which is high in proteins and it can be added to our diet on a regular basis.I have read in a healthy magazine that regular intake helps to reduce cholesterol and lose weight.hope u all love this easy and simple chammanthi recipe which goes well with rice or porridge.
- Horse gram-2 tbsp
- Dry red Chilly- 6
- Urad dal/uzhunnu parippu –1 tsp
- Garlic –2
- Mustard seeds –1/2 tsp
- Tamarind – a small piece
- curry leaves
- Grated coconut –1 cup
- Heat a pan and dry roast horse gram till brown on low flame.Don’t let it burn.
- Add dry red chilly,urad dal,mustard seeds to the pan and dry roast it.
- Grind the roasted items along with grated coconut,tamarind,salt and curry leaves.Add little water to it while grinding. the chammanthi should be thick,not watery.
- serve with rice or Porridge.
Paal kappa is a popular delicacy of Kerala cuisine.This is prepared using tapioca in coconut milk .This goes well with spicy Kerala fish curry and shallots chammanthi.
- Tapioca(cut into cubes) – 1 kg
- Shallots – 6
- Garlic – 2
- Cumin seeds – 1 pinch
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Coconut milk – 1/2 cup
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
- Curry Leaves – 2 sprigs
- Boil tapioca with salt and water till tapioca pieces are cooked well.Once it is done, strain the water.
- Grind shallots,garlic and cumin seeds to a paste.
- Heat a pan and transfer the tapioca pieces into it.Add the shallot paste and coconut milk to it .Mix well.
- Once it starts to boil, add grated coconut ,curry leaves and coconut oil to it.stir well..
- Remove from fire.
For Ulli chammanthi
- Shallots –8
- Green Chilly – 3
- Coconut oil
Grind shallots,green chilly to a coarse paste.Add salt and oil to it..
This is a unique recipe of chammanthi with yellow pumpkin.you can have this chammanthi with kanji or rice as a side dish.
- Yellow pumpkin(Mathan) – 1/4 cup
- Tamarind – 1 small piece
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Jaggery – 1 small piece
- Urad dal(uzhunnu Parippu) –1tsp
- Dry red chilly –2
- Grated coconut – 1/4 cup
- Curry leaves
- Peel off the skin of pumpkin and chop into medium pieces.
- Cook pumpkin pieces together with tamarind ,asafoetida, jaggery, water and salt till pumpkin pieces are soft.Drain the water.
- Heat a pan and dry roast urad dal and dry red chilly.
- Grind grated coconut,curry leaves,roasted urad dal,dry red chilly and cooked pumpkin into a paste.
- Serve wtih kanji or rice.