I tried stir fry with taro stem and this time going to share a recipe of making pachadi.
- Taro stem(chop into small pieces) – 1 cup
- Grated coconut- 1/2 cup
- Mustard seeds- 11/2 tsp
- Green chilly – 2
- Curd – 1/2 cup
- Coconut oil
- Dry red chilly –2
- Curry leaves
- Grind grated coconut,mustard seeds(1 tsp) ,green chilly, curd into a fine paste.Keep aside.
- Peel off the outer skin of taro stem and chop into small pieces.while cutting stem, apply a little oil to the palms to avoid itching.
- Boil water and add chopped taro stem,salt to it.
- Cover and cook on medium flame for 4-5 minutes till cooked well.let it cool.
- Add the curd mix to it and mix well.
- Heat oil.splutter mustard seeds,dry red chilly ,curry leaves. Add the seasonings to the curd mix.
- Pachadi is ready to serve with rice as side dish.
Paal kappa is a popular delicacy of Kerala cuisine.This is prepared using tapioca in coconut milk .This goes well with spicy Kerala fish curry and shallots chammanthi.
- Tapioca(cut into cubes) – 1 kg
- Shallots – 6
- Garlic – 2
- Cumin seeds – 1 pinch
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Coconut milk – 1/2 cup
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
- Curry Leaves – 2 sprigs
- Boil tapioca with salt and water till tapioca pieces are cooked well.Once it is done, strain the water.
- Grind shallots,garlic and cumin seeds to a paste.
- Heat a pan and transfer the tapioca pieces into it.Add the shallot paste and coconut milk to it .Mix well.
- Once it starts to boil, add grated coconut ,curry leaves and coconut oil to it.stir well..
- Remove from fire.
For Ulli chammanthi
- Shallots –8
- Green Chilly – 3
- Coconut oil
Grind shallots,green chilly to a coarse paste.Add salt and oil to it..
I have tried pachadi with bitter gourd,okra,cucumber but never tried with pumpkin.This is an easy and different style of pachadi recipe prepared using pumpkin in coconut milk and curd.
Pumpkin (chop into small pieces) – 1 cup
Shallots – 2 tbsp
Ginger(grated) – 1 tbsp
Green chilly(chopped) –1 tbsp
Mustard(crushed) – 1 tbsp
Thick Coconut milk – 1 cup
Curd – 1/2 cup
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Shallots (cut into round pieces) –1
Dry red chilly – 1
Curry leaves- 1 sprig
Oil – 3 tbsp
Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan.Add chopped shallots,ginger,green chilly and saute well.
Add pumpkin pieces to it and mix well.
Add crushed mustard,coconut milk ,salt and let it boil.once it is cooked well,remove from fire.
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan.Splutter mustard seeds.once it is done, add shallots,dry red chilly,curry leaves and add it to the pumpkin mix.
Let it cool.once it is cool, add curd to it and mix well.
Pachadi is ready to serve with rice.