Both papaya and moong daal are nutritious and commonly used in Asian cuisine.This thoran is prepared using moong daal and papaya stir fried with coconut.
- Yellow split lentils(Moong daal/cherupayar) – 1 cup
- Green papaya(grated/Kappalanga) – 2 cup
- Ginger(chopped) –1/2 tsp
- Green Chilly(cut into round pieces) –2
- Turmeric powder –1/2 tsp
- Grated Coconut – 1 cup
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Dry red chilly –2
- Shallots(chopped) – 6
- Curry leaves
- Boil moong daal with water,salt, and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.Splutter mustard seeds,dry red chilly,3 shallots and curry leaves.
- Add grated papaya,green chilly,remaining shallots,chopped ginger,turmeric powder and salt.Mix well.Cover and cook without adding water.
- Once it is cooked well,add grated coconut and stir well.cover and cook on low flame for 2 minutes.
- Finally add boiled cherupayar and mix well.
- Garnish with curry leaves
Moong daal(Cherupayar) or green gram is rich in vitamins and fibre.In Kerala,Moong daal is commonly used to prepare payasam and puzhukku, which is a good combo for rice porridge(kanji).You can make salad with Sprouted moong daal.Here is a quick and nutritious recipe of moong daal with egg.Enjoy!
- Moong Daal(Cherupayar) – 1 cup
- Egg –2
- Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Shallots – 4
- Garlic pods– 2
- Ginger – 1 small piece
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Coconut oil
- Curry leaves
- pressure cook Moong daal with turmeric powder,salt and water.Grind grated coconut,curry leaves,shallots,ginger,garlic into a coarse paste.
- Heat oil in a pan.Add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Once it is done,add coconut mix to it and stir well.
- Once the raw smell goes,add boiled daal to it and mix well.cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Finally add beaten egg to it and scramble well.
- Garnish with curry leaves.
- serve with porridge or rice.