Kadathanattu Chicken is popular in a place called vadakara ,northern part of Kerala. I got this recipe from “Pachamulaku” cookery show.This is a unique and different style of preparation. Hope you all love this..
- Chicken( cut into medium cubes) – 500 gms
- Ginger – 2” piece
- Garlic – 15
- Green Chilly – 4
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 1 tbsp
- Red Chilly Powder – 2tbsp
- Onion(finely chopped,cut lengthwise) – 2
- Onion(cut into cubes) – 1
- Capsicum(cut into medium cubes) – 1
- Tomato (Take pulp and grind it into juice) – 2
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Chilly Sauce – 1 tsp
- Tomato Sauce – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves(finely chopped) – 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves(chopped) – 2 tbsp
- Grind ginger,garlic and green chilly into a coarse paste. squeeze out the juice and keep aside. Don’t discard the coarse paste mix.
- Marinate chicken with red chilly powder,Kashmiri chilly powder,ginger-garlic-green chilly juice,and salt.set aside for 1 hour.shallow fry chicken pieces till done.
- In the mean time, fry chopped onions till crispy and brown.
- Then saute onions cubes in the oil(the same we used for frying chicken) till light brown.
- Add fried chicken pieces, ginger-garlic-green chilly coarse mix,capsicum,tomato juice,pepper powder and mix well.
- Add chilly sauce,tomato sauce,curry leaves and coriander leaves.Check for salt and add if needed.stir well and cook till dry.
- Remove from fire.
- Serve with Rice or Roti.
This is prepared by marinating chicken in spices and coconut milk and then fried in coconut oil.Adding coconut milk makes a mouthwatering chicken roast. This is a must try and can be served during special occasions.
- Chicken (boneless,cut into cubes) – 250 gms
- Turmeric powder-2 tsp
- Kashmiri Red chilly powder- 1tbsp
- Coriander powder-2 tsp
- Coconut milk(thick) – 1/4 cup
- Cloves – 3
- Cinnamon stick – a small piece
- Cardamom –1
- Garlic(chopped) – 1 tsp
- Ginger(chopped) – 1/2 tsp
- Green Chilly(slit lengthwise) – 3
- Onion(chopped) – 1
- Tomato (chopped) –1
- Chicken stock – 1/4 cup
- Coconut bits(thengakothu) – 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds powder- 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Coconut oil – for frying
- For marinating chicken,,In a bowl mix 1tsp turmeric pwoder,2 tsp red chilly powder,1 tsp coriander powder, 3 tbsp coconut milk,salt and add chicken pieces to it and mix well using hand.Keep in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan.Fry chicken pieces .Also fry curry leaves in the oil.
- Take another pan and heat 2 tbsp oil(use the same oil we used for frying chicken)add clove,cinnamon,cardamom and once nice aroma comes,add coconut bits to it.
- Add Garlic,ginger,green chilly chopped onions and saute well.
- Once onion turns brown,add chopped tomato and once it is sautéed well,add chilly powder,coriander powder,turmeric powder mixed with little water to it and stir well.This is to avoid burning of spice powders.
- Add chicken stock to it.let it boil.
- Add fried chicken pieces to the masala.Mix well to get coated with the masala.
- Add remaining coconut milk to it.Mix well.
- Finally add fennel seeds powder to it.cook on low flame till dry.
- Garnish with fried curry leaves.serve with rice as side dish.
This is a simple and delicious preparation of chicken in a spicy masala.Adding coconut oil enhances the flavor and it tastes great with roti or rice.
Chicken(boneless) – 1 kg
Onion(medium,finely chopped) – 4
Tomato – 2
Ginger paste – 1 1/2 tbsp
Garlic paste – 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
Pepper powder – 1 tsp
Kashmiri chilly powder – 2 tbsp
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
cumin seeds(jeera) – 1 tsp
Curd/Yogurt – 1 cup
Coconut oil – 1/4 cup
wash and clean chicken pieces.Dry roast cumin seeds and grind it into a fine powder.
In a bowl, mix chicken pieces with chopped onions,ginger-garlic paste,turmeric powder,fennel seeds, chilly powder,jeera powder,pepper,garam masala powder,curd ,salt and mix well.
Heat a pan and transfer the chicken mix to the pan.Cover and cook on medium flame without adding water.
Once chicken is cooked well,open the lid and let it cook till gravy is well coated with chicken.Remove from fire.
Heat 1/4 cup coconut oil in a wide bottomed pan.Transfer the chicken mix to it. Stir well and roast the chicken till golden brown.
Garnish with curry leaves.