This is a different style of spicy mushroom masala prepared using spices in a rich and thick gravy. This tastes best with roti.
- Button Mushroom – 1 cup
- Capsicum (chopped,red/green) – 1/2 cup
- Onion(Finely chopped) – 1
- Tomato(finely chopped) –1
- Ginger-garlic paste- 1 tbsp
- Green Chilly – 1
- Turmeric powder – 2 tsp
- Kashmiri red chilly Powder – 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala powder – 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds(perum jeerakam) powder –1 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1tsp
- Cashewnut or Almond paste – 1 tbsp
- Butter – 1tbsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Coriander leave s- to garnish
- Clean the mushrooms and cut into 4 pieces. Marinate mushrooms with 1/2 tsp turmeric powder,1 tsp red chilly powder,1 tsp pepper powder ,1/2 tsp fennel seeds powder and salt. Keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat little oil in a pan. Stir fry the marinated mushrooms in oil for 2 minutes till mushrooms turn light brown.Transfer it to a bowl.
- Heat butter in a pan. Add capsicum to it and saute on medium flame for 2 minutes.Transfer the sauteed capsicum into a bowl.
- In the same pan, heat oil and saute ginger garlic paste, chopped onions and once onion turns light brown add finely chopped tomato to it.
- Mix turmeric powder,red chilly powder,coriander powder,fennel seeds powder,cumin powder with water to make a paste. This is to avoid burning of spice powders while adding to the pan.
- Add the paste to it and mix well.Add cashewnut paste to it .Stir well.
- Add sauteed mushrooms and capsicum cubes to it.Add little amount of water to it.Cover and cook on low flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from fire.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
This is a Gujarati style preparation of okra with spices,gram flour and grated coconut.
- Okra(Bhindi/Vendakka) – 500 gms
- Turmeric powder –1/2 tsp
- Red chilly Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Garam masala powder –1/2 tsp
- Grated coconut – 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves(chopped) – 2 tbsp
- Bengal Gram Flour(Besan/Kadala maavu) – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds –1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds(uluva) –1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida powder (kaayam) – 1/4 tsp
- Sugar –1tsp
- Oil – 3tsbp
- Coriander leaves – to garnish
- Grated Coconut – to garnish
- Wash okra well and wipe off with a clean towel. Trim both the ends.slit length wise and cut into medium pieces.
- In a bowl mix turmeric powder,chilly powder,coriander powder,sugar, garam masala powder,grated coconut,coriander leaves,besan and salt.
- Heat oil in a pan.Splutter mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds,asafoetida powder.Once it is done, add chopped okra pieces.
- Stir well and cook on low flame till okra is done.Take care not to get okra burned.
- Finally add the spicy powder mix to it and stir well. Cook on low flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from fire.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and grated coconut.
Recipe Source: Vanitha Magazine 2011
This curry is prepared using chick pea and spinach in a spicy green paste..It is healthy and easy to make.This curry goes well with roti or chappathi.
- Kabuli chana/chick peas – 1 cup
- Onion (chopped) – 1
- Spinach leaves (chopped) – 1 cup
- Ginger – 1” piece
- Garlic – 6
- Green chilly -3
- Cumin seeds (jeerakam) –1/2 tsp
- Peppercorns- 1/4 tsp
- Curd – 1 cup
- Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves(finely chopped) – 1 cup
- Mint (pudina) leaves (chopped) – 1/4 cup
- Ghee –1tsp
- Oil –2tsp
- soak chick peas in water for 5-6 hours.Pressure cook with little salt and keep aside.
- For green masala,Grind together green chilly ginger,garlic,coriander leaves, mint leaves with curd.
- Heat oil and ghee . Add cumin seeds, pepper corns and once it starts to splutter and nice aroma comes,add chopped onions to it and fry till onions turn golden brown in color.
- Add chopped spinach to it and saute well.
- Add boiled chick peas to it and stir well for 1-2 minutes.
- Add garam masala powder to it and mix well.
- Finally add the green masala paste to it.
- Cover and cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Serve with roti or chappathi.
Recipe Source:Vanitha Magazine