This is a different style of spicy mushroom masala prepared using spices in a rich and thick gravy. This tastes best with roti.
- Button Mushroom – 1 cup
- Capsicum (chopped,red/green) – 1/2 cup
- Onion(Finely chopped) – 1
- Tomato(finely chopped) –1
- Ginger-garlic paste- 1 tbsp
- Green Chilly – 1
- Turmeric powder – 2 tsp
- Kashmiri red chilly Powder – 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala powder – 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds(perum jeerakam) powder –1 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1tsp
- Cashewnut or Almond paste – 1 tbsp
- Butter – 1tbsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Coriander leave s- to garnish
- Clean the mushrooms and cut into 4 pieces. Marinate mushrooms with 1/2 tsp turmeric powder,1 tsp red chilly powder,1 tsp pepper powder ,1/2 tsp fennel seeds powder and salt. Keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat little oil in a pan. Stir fry the marinated mushrooms in oil for 2 minutes till mushrooms turn light brown.Transfer it to a bowl.
- Heat butter in a pan. Add capsicum to it and saute on medium flame for 2 minutes.Transfer the sauteed capsicum into a bowl.
- In the same pan, heat oil and saute ginger garlic paste, chopped onions and once onion turns light brown add finely chopped tomato to it.
- Mix turmeric powder,red chilly powder,coriander powder,fennel seeds powder,cumin powder with water to make a paste. This is to avoid burning of spice powders while adding to the pan.
- Add the paste to it and mix well.Add cashewnut paste to it .Stir well.
- Add sauteed mushrooms and capsicum cubes to it.Add little amount of water to it.Cover and cook on low flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from fire.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
This is a healthy and nutritious curry and it is a combo of potato,spinach and tofu with a spicy masala gravy.As Tofu is a excellent source of proteins and calcium,it is good for kids and it looks similar to paneer too.
- Spinach(chopped) – 1 cup
- Potatoes(boiled) –2
- Tofu – 1/2 cup
- Onion – 2
- Red chilly powder – 2 tsp.
- Turmeric powder- 1 tsp.
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp.
- Ginger – 1” piece
- Garlic – 4
- Green Chilly (chopped) –1
- Tomato –1
- Mustard seeds-1/4 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds(uluva)- 1/4 tsp
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Wash and chop spinach.Boil potatoes with little turmeric and salt.
- Make a paste of turmeric powder,red chilly powder,coriander powder,mustard seeds,fenugreek seeds,ginger,garlic and 1 onion.
- In the mean time, boil 1/2 cup of water .
- Heat oil in a pan.Sauté chopped onion and green chilly till onion turns brown.
- Add masala paste and let it sauté till oil comes clear.
- Add chopped tomatoes and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chopped spinach,tofu and boiled potatoes to it. stir and mix well.Add salt according to your taste.
- Finally add the boiled water to it and cover and cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Serve with roti,naan or poori.
Iam sending this to Veggie/fruit a month –Spinach hosted by Rashmi.
Here is another dish which is a very rare one to see out there. It is a Radish (Mooli) Subzi
Following are the ingredients I used to prepare this dish:
- I large white radish nicely chopped into cube shapes
- ½ tsp of turmeric powder
- ½ tsp of cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp of asafoetida
- 1 tbsp of Ginger and Green Chilli paste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp corriander powder
- 3 tbsp of oil
- salt to taste
- Boil the nicely chopped radish for approximately 7 to 8 minutes with ½ tsp turmeric powder. Drain it and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add cumin seeds, asafoetida, ginger-chilli paste and saute for few minutes
- Now add the cooked radish, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and salt. Let it cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with chappathi or paratha’s