As the name suggests, the main ingredients are almond and paneer.This spicy curry is prepared in a rich and spicy thick gravy.Adding tomato puree and dry red chilly enhances the taste and it goes great with roti.
Paneer(cottage Cheese/cut into cubes) – 3/4 cup
Almonds – 10
Onion(roughly chopped) –1/4 cup
Ginger – 1/2 “ piece
Garlic(chopped) – 1/2 tsp
Dry red chilly – 2
Tomato Puree – 1/4 cup
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Chilly Powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala – 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder – 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds(jeera) powder –1/4 tsp
Fresh Cream or Milk – 3 tbsp
Sugar – a pinch
Soak almonds and dry red chilly in warm water for 20 minutes.
Grind almonds, ginger,garlic,onion and dry red chilly into a fine paste.
Marinate paneer with turmeric powder,1/4 tsp chilly powder and salt, Keep aside.
Heat oil in a pan. fry the marinated paneer cubes till light brown.Drain it to a tissue paper.
In the same pan, saute the almond paste till raw smell goes.
Add red chilly powder,garam masala powder,cumin powder, coriander powder and tomato puree.
Fry till oil begins to separate from the masala.
Finally add paneer cubes, sugar,milk and salt.
Mix well and cook for 2 more minutes to get a thick gravy.
Garnish with chopped almonds or coriander leaves.
serve with Roti.
Recipe Source: Tarla Dalal
This is prepared using paneer,capsicum and spice mix. Since it is less spicy,kids will really love it. it is a good starter with an absolutely fusion taste of Punjabi garam masala and cumin-coriander.Hope you all like this.
- Paneer – 1 1/2 cups
- Baby Corn (cut into lengthwise) – 1 cup
- Capsicum (cut into strips,green and red color) – 3/4 cup
- Onion(cut into Slices) – 1
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Chilly Powder- 1/2 tsp
- Coriander-Cumin(dhania-jeera) powder – 1/2 tsp
- Tomato (cut into strips) – 1/2 cup
- Tomato ketch up – 2 tbsp
- Tomato Puree- 2 tbsp
- Vinegar – 2 tsp
- Punjabi garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
- Sugar – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Coriander Leaves – to garnish
- Heat oil in a pan.Saute chopped onion and capsicum for 2 minutes.
- Add baby corn,turmeric powder,chilly powder,coriander-cumin powder,tomatoes,tomato ketch up,tomato puree and salt and saute on a low flame for about 5 minutes till the baby corn is cooked.
- Add paneer,vinegar,Punjabi garam masala,sugar and toss lightly.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot.
Recipe Source: Punjabi subzis by Tarla Dalal.
This is a Punjabi version of paneer masala recipe. It is prepared with cottage cheese and a spice mix of ajwain and cumin seeds.It goes well with Rotis and Rice.
- Paneer (cut into cubes) – 2 cups
- Fenugreek leaves(kasoori Methi,crushed) – 1 tbsp
- Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chat Masala – 1 tsp
- Ajwain(carom seeds) –1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds (jeera) – 1/2 tsp
- Onion(chopped) – 1/2 cup
- Garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Green Chilly(chopped) – 2
- Coriander(Dhania) powder – 1 tsp
- Tomato puree- 1/2 cup
- Caraway seeds(shah jeera,roasted) – 1/4 tsp
- Fresh Cream – 2tbsp
- Punjabi Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
- Oil –6 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Coriander leaves(chopped) – 2 tbsp
- Marinate the paneer cubes with dried fenugreek leaves,chilly powder,turmeric powder,chat masala and salt.Keep aside for 30 minutes
- Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a kadai.Shallow fry marinated paneer pieces till golden brown in color.Drain on tissue paper and keep aside.
- Heat the remaining oil on a tava and add the ajwain and cumin seeds to it.
- When they crackle,add chopped onions and saute till they turn translucent.
- Add garlic paste,chopped green chilly,coriander powder,salt and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree and caraway seeds.Cook till the oil separates from the gravy.
- Add the fried paneer cubes,cream and Punjabi garam masala and mix gently.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- serve with roti or rice.
Recipe Source: “Punjabi Subzis “ by Tarla Dalal.