This curry is a unique combination of Chicken and Ash Gourd in a spicy masala.This is popular in kunnakulam-Thrissur side of Kerala state .It tastes great with rice or Roti.
- Ash Gourd/Kumbalanga ( cut into medium cubes) – 1/2 kg
- Chicken (cut into medium pieces) – 1/2 kg
- Onion(chopped) – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Coconut milk – 1/2 cup
- Coconut oil
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Shallots – 10
- Garlic cloves – 10
- Ginger(chopped) – 1 tsp
- Dry red chilly –10
- Coriander seeds – 1tbsp
- Fennel Seeds/Perumjeerakam – 1/2 tsp
- clove- 1
- Cinnamon piece – 2” piece
- Peppercorns – 6
- curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Dry Red Chilly –2
- Curry leaves
- First heat a pan on medium flame and dry Roast the ingredients listed for roasting.Take care not to get burned.once it is done,remove from fire. Let it cool.Grind it to a fine paste
- Heat coconut oil in a kadai.Saute chopped onion,chopped tomatoes and once it is done,add turmeric powder,red chilly powder,coriander powder, and once the raw smell goes, add chicken pieces to it and mix well.
- Add little water to it and cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Once chicken is cooked well,add ash gourd pieces to it and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add coconut paste and salt to it. stir well.
- cover and cook for 3 minutes on medium flame.
- Add coconut milk to it. once it starts to boil,remove from fire.
- Heat oil in a pan. splutter mustard seeds, dry red chilly and curry leaves.
- Add the tempering to the curry.
- serve with Rice.
Recipe Source:”Thaninadan” cookery show