Chaats are a variety of particularly common snacks which are popular in India. There are different varieties of chats and most common are aloo chaat,chana chaat,chicken chaat.This chaat is a mix of sweet,hot and sour flavors and it tastes great if you make chat the day before you serve it.
- Chick peas – 1 cup
- Onion(finely chopped) –1
- Tomato(deseeded and the flesh diced) –1
- Green Chilly(chopped) –1
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
- Chat Masala – 1tsp
- Tamarind Paste – 1tbsp
- Ketch up – 1tbsp
- Salt –1 tsp
- Coriander leaves – 1tbsp
- Boil chick peas with little salt and turmeric powder.soak a gooseberry sized piece of tamarind in 1/4 cup of hot water for 30 minutes.Squeeze out the pulp and discard solids and seeds.
- In a bowl, mix all the above ingredients well . Serve.
Recipe Source:The New Curry Secret by Kris Dhillon
This is an authentic kashmiri recipe of Aloo Dum and it tastes better if you serve it next day as the spices permeate the potatoes through the holes in them.kashmiri cooking is always done in mustard oil..They don’t use garlic at all.. Instead use tomato,yogurt , asafoetida and fennel seeds to get a distinct falvour.i have read somewhere that making Aloo dum ( the process of browning potatoes )is the ultimate test for new Kashmiri brides to show off their cooking skills..:-)
- Baby potatoes – 6
- Curd(sour) – 1 1/2 cup
- Fennel seeds (roast and grind it to a powder) – 1 1/2 tsp
- Cumin(jeera) powder – 2 tsp
- Asafoetida (hing) – 2 tsp
- Mustard oil – 4tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Kashmiri red chilly paste – 2 tbsp
- Ginger paste – 1/2 tsp
- Bay leaves – 2
- Turmeric powder – 1/2tsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Fresh sour cream(optional) – 1/4 cup
- Coriander leaves (chopped) – 1 tbsp
- vegetable oil
- Boil and peel potatoes.Stab lightly each potato evenly using a fork.
- In a kadai, heat vegetable oil and deep fry potatoes until golden reddish brown in color.
- Mix beaten sour curd in a bowl and add 1/2 tsp of powdered fennel seeds powder,1/2 tsp of asafoetida powder,1 tsp of cumin powder and mix into it.
- Heat mustard oil in a kadai. splutter mustard seeds, bay leaves. Add red chilly paste,ginger paste, 1 tsp of hing, 1tsp cumin powder and a 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder and stir until oil separates from the spice mix.
- Lower the flame and add the curd mix and let it simmer for 15 mins.
- then add the fried potatoes to the gravy . cover and cook on low flame for another 15 mins.
- If the gravy is too thick just add little water to it.
- Once it is done add fresh sour cream to it.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve with rice.