Kori Sukka comes from the Bunt community,Hindis from Mangalore in South India.
During my recent visit to the library, i found an interesting cook book about the favourite recipes of Bollywood stars.This recipe is adapted from the “The Bollywood Cookbook” by Bulbul Mankani.Even bollywood stars are also wonderful cooks.:)This spicy dry chicken curry is from Bollywood Action Hero Suneil Shetty’s Kitchen. This goes well with rice or roti.Enjoy!
- Chicken(skinless) – 1 kg
- Onion(finely chopped,large) – 1 1/2
- Grated Coconut –1
- Coriander seeds –3tbsp
- Turmeric powder –3/4 tsp
- Black Peppercorns – 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds –1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
- Poppy Seeds – 1 tsp
- Dry red chilly (roasted) – 6
- Tamarind paste – 1tbsp
- Garlic cloves – 4
- Cumin seeds – 1 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves –3 sprigs
- Ghee or Butter- 3 tbsp
- Heat 1/2 tbsp of ghee or butter in a Pan.Roast coriander seeds,turmeric powder,black peppercorns,fennel,fenugreek and poppy seeds. Once the aroma starts to rise,turn off the heat and let it cool.
- Add the whole red chillies(dry roast for about 3 minutes on a griddle),tamarind paste and grind it to a paste.Keep aside.The actual recipe calls for 15 red chillies. if you want it more spicy you can add it.
- Grind together grated coconut,garlic and cumin seeds into a coarse dry paste without adding water.
- Mix the chicken pieces with the first paste and leave it for 10-15minutes.
- In a large frying pan with a lid,heat 1 1/2 tbsp of ghee or butter add the marinated chicken pieces and stir well.Cook on medium flame without adding water.Open and stir occasionally.
- Once it is cooked well,add the coconut paste and salt.cover and cook for 5 more minutes.
- In a small pan, heat the remaining ghee,add curry leaves and fry .add the chopped onions and fry until light brown.Pour this as a garnish over the dry chicken mix.
- serve hot with rice or roti.This serves for 6 people
- Chicken – 1 kg
- Basmathi Rice(Jeera Rice) – 1 kg
- Onion – 6
- Ginger – 50 gms
- Garlic – 8
- Green Chilly – 4
- Curd – 1 cup
- Kus Kus (poppy seeds) – 2tsp
- Garam Masala powder – 3 tsp
- Coriander leaves – 2tbsp
- Pudina leaves – 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 2tbsp
- Lime juice – 2 tbsp
- Dalda (Ghee) – 250gms
- Cashew nuts -2tbsp
- Raisins – 2tbsp
For Making garam masala powder
- Cloves – 4
- Cardamom – 6
- shah jeera (caraway seeds) – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon stick -1 inch piece
- Nut meg (jathika) -1/4 piece
- Mace (jathi pathri) – 1 tsp
- Soak rice for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and add half of chopped onions and saute till it changes its color. Add ginger- garlic-green chilly paste, chopped green chilly and saute well.
- Add biriyani masala powder and once smell comes ,add chicken pieces to it and stir well.Add curd,kus kus,salt ,1/2 cup water and allow it to cook on medium flame.
- once chicken is half cooked, add lime juice, chopped curry leaves, coriander leaves and pudina leaves.once gravy becomes dry, remove from heat.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add the remaining chopped onions and fry to golden brown.fry cashews and raisins in the same ghee and keep aside.
- In the same pan, Add rice to it and fry for 5 ?10 minutes.Add required amount of water(double the quantity of rice),salt .cover and cook till done.
- In a lar ge pot, layer the chicken pieces first then sprinkle garam masala powder over it,put a second layer of rice.then put garam masala powder,fried onions, cashews,raisins and repeat this until everything is used up.Sprinkle fried onions and coriander leaves on top.
- Leave on low heat to keep it warm.
- Serve with Raita and pappadam.
This is a different style of chicken fry using less ingredients and adding dry red chilly instead of red chilly powder enhances the taste.Hope you all like it.
- Chicken(thighs) – 4
- Ginger-garlic paste-1 tbsp
- Shallots – 6
- Dry red Chilly – 8
- Turmeric powder- 1tsp
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig.Salt
- Coconut oil
- Make a fine paste of the above ingredients and Marinate chicken for 1 hour.
- Deep fry in hot oil.
serve as appetizer or as a side dish for roti.