Paal payasam is traditionally prepared using milk,rice and sugar.It is usually served during festivals like vishu,Onam or birthday celebrations.
- Unakkalari(Payasam Rice/Brown rice) – 1/2 cup
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Milk – 1 litre
- Water –1/2 litre
- Ghee –1 tbsp
- In a heavy bottomed pan,boil milk with water.once it starts to boil add rice to it and let it cook on medium flame.
- Once rice is half cooked,add sugar to it and stir well continuously.Once rice is soft and thick in consistency, switch off the flame.
- Add ghee to it and mix.Serve warm.
- You can add sugar according to your taste.
- We don’t add cashew,raisins or cardamom powder while making paaal payasam.If brown rice is not available, you can use basmati rice.
This is my entry for Milk Sweet Recipes hosted by Sameena.
and Dish name starts with p hosted by Akhila
Olan is a traditional kerala sadhya dish and it is prepared using pumpkin,Ash gourd and red gram dal.
- Ash gourd (kumbhalanga/cut into pieces) – 100 gms/1/2 cup
- Pumpkin(mathan) – 100gms
- Red gram dal(vanpayar) –2 tbsp
- Green chilly(slit lengthwise) –3
- Thick Coconut milk(first extracted) – 1/4 cup
- Coconut milk(2nd extracted ) –1 cup
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Coconut oil -1 tbsp
- Soak gram dal over night.
- In a pressure cooker, boil peas and keep aside.
- Boil vegetables with salt,green chilly and water.
- Once it is cooked well, add 2nd extracted milk to it .let it boil.
- Once the gravy thickens,add thick coconut milk to it and stir well.Don’t let it boil.Remove from fire.
- Add curry leaves and coconut oil to it.
- Serve with Rice.
Today is my hubby’s birthday and so i made his favorite payasam to celebrate the special day.This payasam is prepared with broken wheat,coconut milk and Jaggery.This is a yummy and healthy payasam to serve during festivals like Onam,Vishu and I hope you all like it.
I wish all my wonderful readers a happy and prosperous Onam.
- Broken Wheat(nurukku Godambhu) – 1 cup
- Jaggery – 250gms
- Thick Coconut milk(first extracted milk) – 1cup
- Coconut milk(2nd extracted milk) – 2 1/2 cups
- Cardamom powder(elakka) – 1 tsp
- Dry Ginger powder(chukku podi) – 1/4 tsp
- Jeera powder(jeerakam) – 1/4 tsp
- Cashew nuts – 50 gms
- Raisins – 50 gms
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Pressure cook broken wheat with 3 cups of water for 3-4 whistles or until wheat is cooked well.
- To make jaggery syrup,melt jaggery in 1/4 cup of water and let it melt completely. Strain it to remove impurities.
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan.Fry cashewnuts and raisins.Keep aside.
- Heat a pan and transfer the cooked wheat mix into it.Add jaggery syrup to it and stir continuously till it is thick.While stirring,add remaining 1 tbsp ghee to it .
- Add 2nd extracted coconut milk to it and let it boil for 2 minutes.Once it starts to boil, add thick coconut milk to it and mix well.After adding thick coconut milk,no need to boil. Remove from fire.
- Add cardamom powder,dry ginger powder,jeera powder to it and stir well.
- Garnish with fried cashews and raisins.
- Serve warm.