Horse gram is a type of legume which is high in proteins and it can be added to our diet on a regular basis.I have read in a healthy magazine that regular intake helps to reduce cholesterol and lose weight.hope u all love this easy and simple chammanthi recipe which goes well with rice or porridge.
- Horse gram-2 tbsp
- Dry red Chilly- 6
- Urad dal/uzhunnu parippu –1 tsp
- Garlic –2
- Mustard seeds –1/2 tsp
- Tamarind – a small piece
- curry leaves
- Grated coconut –1 cup
- Heat a pan and dry roast horse gram till brown on low flame.Don’t let it burn.
- Add dry red chilly,urad dal,mustard seeds to the pan and dry roast it.
- Grind the roasted items along with grated coconut,tamarind,salt and curry leaves.Add little water to it while grinding. the chammanthi should be thick,not watery.
- serve with rice or Porridge.
Banana flower is rich in fiber and it is highly nutritious and tastes good.you can prepare different types of dishes using various parts of plantain .This can be served as a side dish with Kerala rice and curry.
- vazhakoombhu/Plantain Flower(finely chopped) – 1 cup
- Turmeric powder –1/2 tsp
- Red chilly powder –1/2 tsp
- Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Garlic –2
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Dry red Chilly- 2
- urad daal (uzhunnu parippu)– 1 tsp
- oil – 1tbsp
- Curry leaves
- Remove the outer layers(4-5 layers) of plantain flower till you see soft and white layer petal(see below pic).
- Finely chop the flower into small pieces .put the chopped flower in water with little turmeric powder and salt for 10 minutes.squeeze out the extra water and drain.
- Boil plantain flower with turmeric powder,red chilly powder and salt.
- Grind coconut and garlic into a coarse paste.
- Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds, dry red chilly,curry leaves and urad daal.once daal turns light brown,add coconut paste to it and mix well.
- Finally add boiled plantain flower and stir fry to get mixed well for 2 minutes.Turn off the heat.
- Transfer into a serving bowl and serve with rice as side dish.