kallumakkaya/Kadukka Porichathu/Mussels Fry
- Kallumakkaya/Kadukka (Mussels) – 15 Nos.
- Kashmiri Red Chilly Powder – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 2 tsp
- Pepper powder – 2 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves
- Grind chilly powder, turmeric powder,fennel seeds,pepper powder with little water to a fine paste.
- Marinated mussels with the paste and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan.Fry till brown in color.
- Fry curry leaves in the same oil and garnish it.
- Serve with Rice and Curry.
How to Clean Mussels
- Soak the mussels in cold water for 20 minutes to release sand .Remove the mussels from the water with a slotted spoon. Discard any with cracked or broken shells.
- Place the mussels in a large sauce pan with enough water to cover and bring it to boil. Reduce to medium flame and boil for 3-4 minutes or until the mussel shells have opened.Discard any that do not open.Drain the water and take out the mussel shells.
- Scoop out the flesh from the shell.Cleaning the meat is a tedious process.
- Remove the hairy thing also known as byssal threads by pressing the meat in the center using your fingers(pic 3) and the black colored dirt as shown in the pics below.The Hairy thing if consumed can causes stomach problems.