I wish you all a happy sree Krishna jayanthi and on this special occasion I made burfi with almonds.Almonds are a good source of protein and this is a perfect healthy and nutritious sweet for kids.
Almonds – 1/2 cup
Milk – 3/4 cup
Milkmaid/Condensed Milk –1/2 tin
Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
Ghee – 4 tbsp
Milk powder – 4tbsp
Soak almonds in warm water for 1 hour. Peel off the outer skin and grind the almonds into a fine coarse paste with 1/4 cup of milk.
Heat a heavy bottomed pan. Add almond paste,remaining milk and ghee to it.Stir continuously on low flame.
When the mix starts to thicken,add milkmaid,cardamom powder and milk powder to it. Stir continuously till the mixture thickens to form a dough like consistency and starts leaving the sides of the pan.
Remove from fire.
Spread the mix into a plate greased with ghee.
Let it cool for 30 minutes.
Cut into squares or desired shapes.
Garnish with almonds.
Store in a airtight container.
Actually I was thinking of making some Indian sweet for my Malaysian neighbor to give for Diwali. Then the idea of making rava ladoo came to my mind.it took only 30 mins for preparation and it came out very well.
- Semolina (rava) – 1 cup
- Sugar- 1 cup
- Milk – 1/4 cup
- Cashewnuts – 1/4 cup
- Raisins – 1/4 cup
- Ghee – 5 tbsp
- Heat 3 tbsp of ghee in a pan.Roast rava for a few minutes till you get a nice aroma of roasted rava.Allow it to cool.
- Fry cashews and raisins in ghee and keep aside.
- Once rava is cool , Blend together sugar and rava to get a powdered mix.
- Add roasted raisins and Cashewnuts to it.
- Add milk little by little and keep mixing for few minutes.
- Take small amount of the mix and roll into balls.
- You can keep in the fridge for crispy ladoos.
This is my entry for JFI-Festivals hosted by srivalli.
- Carrot – 1 lb
- Sugar – 3 cups
- Ghee – 3 tbsp
- Milk – 1/2 litre
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- Raisins – 6
- Cashewnuts – 5
- Water – 1 cup
- Wash and grate the carrots.
- Bring the water to boil, when it starts boiling add the grated carrots. Cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add milk and cook on low flame for more than half an hour stirring occasionally.
- Add sugar to it and mix well and cook until all the sugar and milk has absorbed.
- .Add ghee and simmer for 2-3 mins. add fried raisins and cashews and mix well.
- Garnish with grated almonds.
- Serve cold or hot.
This goes to vegetable Marathon hosted by silpa and padmaja