Normally I prepare semiya payasam with milk and sugar. But this time I tried with jaggery and coconut milk.This delicious payasam can be served during festivals like Onam and vishu.
Vermicelli/Semiya – 100 gms
Jaggery/Sharkara(grated) – 150 gms
Ghee – 3 tbsp
Cashew nuts – 8
Raisins – 10
Coconut milk(2nd extracted) – 1 cup
Coconut milk(first extracted/thick) –1/4 cup
Cardamom Powder/Elakka podi – 1tsp
To make jaggery syrup,boil I cup of water and melt jaggery .Once it is melted, strain it through a sieve to remove impurities.
Fry raisins and cashews in ghee.
Heat 1/2tsp ghee in a pan and roast vermicelli till light brown.In the mean time, boil 11/2 cup of water in another pan.
Once vermicelli is roasted well, add the boiled water to it .Let it cook on medium flame for 5 minutes.
Add melted jaggery to it and stir well.Add 1 tsp ghee to it.
Add 2nd extracted coconut milk to it and let it boil.
Finally add 1st extracted coconut milk and mix well. Don’t let payasam boil after adding thick coconut milk.
Add fried raisins,cashewnuts and cardamom powder to the payasam.
I wish all my readers a happy and prosperous onam.
Onasadhya is an inevitable part of Onam. Traditionally sadhya is served on a banana leaf with more than 10 vegetarian dishes and no sadhya is complete without a payasam.Normally I prepare semiya payasam, but this time I tried a different one with pineapple and sabudana,Hope you all love this yummy payasam.
- Pineapple(ripe/crushed) – 1 cup
- Jaggery – 150 gms (6-7 blocks)
- Sabudana(chowari/Sago/Tapioca Pearls) – 1/4 cup
- Coconut Milk(thick) – 1 cup
- Ghee – 5 tbsp
- Milk –1/4 cup
- Raisins -10
- Cashew nuts – 10
- Soak sabudana in hot water for 5 minutes and boil with little milk till it becomes transparent.
- Dissolve jaggery in 1 cup of water.To make syrup,Boil the jaggery mix on medium flame for 10 minutes. Strain to remove impurities.
- Heat a pan and add jaggery syrup and crushed pineapple to it.Stir on medium flame till pineapple gets mixed with the jaggery approximately 5 minutes.
- Once it is done,add boiled sabudana and 3tbsp ghee to it and stir.Once it becomes thick, add coconut milk to it and mix well.
- Finally add boiled milk to it and mix.
- If you want a thick payasam,you can add cornflour mixed with milk to it.
- Heat the remaining ghee in a pan and fry cashews and raisins till light brown.
- Garnish with raisins and cashews.
- Serve warm.
Today is my hubby’s birthday and so i made his favorite payasam to celebrate the special day.This payasam is prepared with broken wheat,coconut milk and Jaggery.This is a yummy and healthy payasam to serve during festivals like Onam,Vishu and I hope you all like it.
I wish all my wonderful readers a happy and prosperous Onam.
- Broken Wheat(nurukku Godambhu) – 1 cup
- Jaggery – 250gms
- Thick Coconut milk(first extracted milk) – 1cup
- Coconut milk(2nd extracted milk) – 2 1/2 cups
- Cardamom powder(elakka) – 1 tsp
- Dry Ginger powder(chukku podi) – 1/4 tsp
- Jeera powder(jeerakam) – 1/4 tsp
- Cashew nuts – 50 gms
- Raisins – 50 gms
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Pressure cook broken wheat with 3 cups of water for 3-4 whistles or until wheat is cooked well.
- To make jaggery syrup,melt jaggery in 1/4 cup of water and let it melt completely. Strain it to remove impurities.
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan.Fry cashewnuts and raisins.Keep aside.
- Heat a pan and transfer the cooked wheat mix into it.Add jaggery syrup to it and stir continuously till it is thick.While stirring,add remaining 1 tbsp ghee to it .
- Add 2nd extracted coconut milk to it and let it boil for 2 minutes.Once it starts to boil, add thick coconut milk to it and mix well.After adding thick coconut milk,no need to boil. Remove from fire.
- Add cardamom powder,dry ginger powder,jeera powder to it and stir well.
- Garnish with fried cashews and raisins.
- Serve warm.