Banana flower is rich in fiber and it is highly nutritious and tastes good.you can prepare different types of dishes using various parts of plantain .This can be served as a side dish with Kerala rice and curry.
- vazhakoombhu/Plantain Flower(finely chopped) – 1 cup
- Turmeric powder –1/2 tsp
- Red chilly powder –1/2 tsp
- Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Garlic –2
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Dry red Chilly- 2
- urad daal (uzhunnu parippu)– 1 tsp
- oil – 1tbsp
- Curry leaves
- Remove the outer layers(4-5 layers) of plantain flower till you see soft and white layer petal(see below pic).
- Finely chop the flower into small pieces .put the chopped flower in water with little turmeric powder and salt for 10 minutes.squeeze out the extra water and drain.
- Boil plantain flower with turmeric powder,red chilly powder and salt.
- Grind coconut and garlic into a coarse paste.
- Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds, dry red chilly,curry leaves and urad daal.once daal turns light brown,add coconut paste to it and mix well.
- Finally add boiled plantain flower and stir fry to get mixed well for 2 minutes.Turn off the heat.
- Transfer into a serving bowl and serve with rice as side dish.
I wish all my readers a happy and prosperous onam.
Onasadhya is an inevitable part of Onam. Traditionally sadhya is served on a banana leaf with more than 10 vegetarian dishes and no sadhya is complete without a payasam.Normally I prepare semiya payasam, but this time I tried a different one with pineapple and sabudana,Hope you all love this yummy payasam.
- Pineapple(ripe/crushed) – 1 cup
- Jaggery – 150 gms (6-7 blocks)
- Sabudana(chowari/Sago/Tapioca Pearls) – 1/4 cup
- Coconut Milk(thick) – 1 cup
- Ghee – 5 tbsp
- Milk –1/4 cup
- Raisins -10
- Cashew nuts – 10
- Soak sabudana in hot water for 5 minutes and boil with little milk till it becomes transparent.
- Dissolve jaggery in 1 cup of water.To make syrup,Boil the jaggery mix on medium flame for 10 minutes. Strain to remove impurities.
- Heat a pan and add jaggery syrup and crushed pineapple to it.Stir on medium flame till pineapple gets mixed with the jaggery approximately 5 minutes.
- Once it is done,add boiled sabudana and 3tbsp ghee to it and stir.Once it becomes thick, add coconut milk to it and mix well.
- Finally add boiled milk to it and mix.
- If you want a thick payasam,you can add cornflour mixed with milk to it.
- Heat the remaining ghee in a pan and fry cashews and raisins till light brown.
- Garnish with raisins and cashews.
- Serve warm.
Soy is high in Proteins and it is a good substitute for meat and contains no fat..This is a healthy and spicy dry curry for rotis or rice.
- Cauliflower(medium,cut into florets) – 1 cup
- Soya chunks – 1/2 cup
- Onion(chopped) – 2
- Ginger –Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
- Green Chilly – 2
- Kashmiri Red chilly powder- 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1tsp
- Coriander pwoder –1/2 tsp
- Tomato(chopped) – 1
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds(jeerakam) –1/4 tsp
- Cloves – 2
- Bay leaf –1
- Cinnamon stick – 1/2” piece
- Cardamom – 2
- Coriander leaves
- Soak soy chunks in warm water for 10 minutes and squeeze out the excess water.
- Chop cauliflower into florets and immerse in warm water(add a pinch of turmeric to the warm water) for 2-3 minutes to get rid of germs.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds,cloves,bay leaf,cardamom and cinnamon stick.Let it splutter and once the aroma of fried jeera comes,add chopped onions,ginger-garlic paste and saute till onion turns golden brown
- Add chopped green chilly,chopped tomatoes to it and once tomatoes are soft,add red chilly powder,pepper powder , turmeric powder and coriander powder.
- Mix well and once the oil starts to leave the pan,add soy chunks and cauliflower florets.Add salt to it and Stir well.
- Add 1/2 cup of water to it.Cover and cook for 5-8 minutes till veggies are cooked well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve with rice or Roti
I am sending this to Veggie/ Fruit a Month Event for September- Cauliflower hosted by Priya and Tiffin Carrier Antiques.