Vazhakoombu Cherupayar Thoran/Banana Blossom Green Gram Stir Fry
- Banana Blossom (Finely Chopped) – 2 Cups
- Moong Daal/Green Gram/Cherupayar (soaked) – 1/2 cup
- Grated Coconut – 1 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red chilly Powder – 1 tbsp
- Green Chilly(crushed) – 3
- Garlic( julienne cut) – 2
- Jaggery – Small lemon size
- Mustard seeds – 1tsp
- Urad daal(Uzhunnu parippu) –1 tsp
- Dry Red Chilly – 2
- Curry leaves
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Brown Rice(Kerala Matta Rice) – 1 tbsp
- First, finely chop banana blossom and add turmeric powder and salt. Mix well and keep aside for 15 minutes. Make sure you squeeze out the extra water.
- In a pressure cooker, add moong daal and cook till soft .
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, curry leaves, dry red chilly, urad daal and let it splutter. Make sure it doesn’t burn as it may become bitter.
- Add banana blossom, jaggery, salt and coconut oil and cover and cook on a low flame .
- After 5 minutes, add crushed green chilly, grated coconut, red chilly powder and mix well.
- Cover and cook without adding water.
- Once banana blossom cooked well, add boiled moong daal to it and mix well. Let it cook till dry.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan, fry brown rice and garlic till golden brown.
- Add it to the thoran at the time of serving
- Serve with Rice.