I tried stir fry with taro stem and this time going to share a recipe of making pachadi.
- Taro stem(chop into small pieces) – 1 cup
- Grated coconut- 1/2 cup
- Mustard seeds- 11/2 tsp
- Green chilly – 2
- Curd – 1/2 cup
- Coconut oil
- Dry red chilly –2
- Curry leaves
- Grind grated coconut,mustard seeds(1 tsp) ,green chilly, curd into a fine paste.Keep aside.
- Peel off the outer skin of taro stem and chop into small pieces.while cutting stem, apply a little oil to the palms to avoid itching.
- Boil water and add chopped taro stem,salt to it.
- Cover and cook on medium flame for 4-5 minutes till cooked well.let it cool.
- Add the curd mix to it and mix well.
- Heat oil.splutter mustard seeds,dry red chilly ,curry leaves. Add the seasonings to the curd mix.
- Pachadi is ready to serve with rice as side dish.
This is prepared by marinating chicken in spices and coconut milk and then fried in coconut oil.Adding coconut milk makes a mouthwatering chicken roast. This is a must try and can be served during special occasions.
- Chicken (boneless,cut into cubes) – 250 gms
- Turmeric powder-2 tsp
- Kashmiri Red chilly powder- 1tbsp
- Coriander powder-2 tsp
- Coconut milk(thick) – 1/4 cup
- Cloves – 3
- Cinnamon stick – a small piece
- Cardamom –1
- Garlic(chopped) – 1 tsp
- Ginger(chopped) – 1/2 tsp
- Green Chilly(slit lengthwise) – 3
- Onion(chopped) – 1
- Tomato (chopped) –1
- Chicken stock – 1/4 cup
- Coconut bits(thengakothu) – 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds powder- 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Coconut oil – for frying
- For marinating chicken,,In a bowl mix 1tsp turmeric pwoder,2 tsp red chilly powder,1 tsp coriander powder, 3 tbsp coconut milk,salt and add chicken pieces to it and mix well using hand.Keep in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan.Fry chicken pieces .Also fry curry leaves in the oil.
- Take another pan and heat 2 tbsp oil(use the same oil we used for frying chicken)add clove,cinnamon,cardamom and once nice aroma comes,add coconut bits to it.
- Add Garlic,ginger,green chilly chopped onions and saute well.
- Once onion turns brown,add chopped tomato and once it is sautéed well,add chilly powder,coriander powder,turmeric powder mixed with little water to it and stir well.This is to avoid burning of spice powders.
- Add chicken stock to it.let it boil.
- Add fried chicken pieces to the masala.Mix well to get coated with the masala.
- Add remaining coconut milk to it.Mix well.
- Finally add fennel seeds powder to it.cook on low flame till dry.
- Garnish with fried curry leaves.serve with rice as side dish.
chembhu Thal Thoran is popular in kerala cuisine.it is prepared by taro stem sautéed in coconut and seasonings.you can make variety of dishes like pachadi,kalan(kerala style yogurt curry)using taro stem.This side dish goes well with rice.
- Taro stem/Chembhu taal - 4
- Grated coconut – 1/4 cup
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Dry red chilly –2
- Urad dal – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves
- coconut Oil
- Peel of the outer skin and cut into small pieces.Add salt to it and mix well.Keep aside for 10 minutes.Squeeze out the excess water.Apply oil on both palms to avoid itchiness.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan.Splutter mustard seeds,urad dal,dry red chilly and once it is done add grated coconut,curry leaves to it.stir well for 2 minutes.
- Finally add chopped taro stem to it and mix well.cook on medium flame for 5 minutes till it is dry.
- serve with rice.