This is prepared using raw papaya and daal in a coconut mix. The papaya tree is commonly found in the back yards of each and every household of Kerala. It is known as omakka,kappalanga or as karamoosa or karothukaaya in Malabar side of Kerala.
- Raw Papaya(small) –1
- Toor daal (tuvara parippu) – 1/4 cup
- Turmeric powder r- 3/4 tsp
- Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Cumin seeds (jeerakam) – 1 /4 tsp
- Green Chilly – 4
- Shallots –2
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Shallots(cut into round pieces) – 4
- Curry leaves
- Water – 1 1/2 cup
- peel off the skin of papaya and remove the seeds. Wash it thoroughly and cut into small pieces.
- Grind together grated coconut,cumin seeds,green chilly,turmeric powder and shallots into a fine paste.
- In a pressure cooker,add toor daal,1/2 tsp. turmeric powder,papaya cubes,salt and water.cook for 1 whistle.
- Once it is cool,open the lid and add the coconut mix to it. Stir well.let it boil .check for salt.
- Remove from fire.
- Heat oil in a pan.Splutter mustard seeds.Add chopped shallots,curry leaves and once shallots turns brown,add the seasonings to the curry.
- Serve with Rice.
Palada Payasam is a popular sweet prepared in Kerala during festivals like Onam ,Vishu or wedding occasions.Traditionally, Palada payasam is prepared using rice ada, milk and sugar without raisins and cashews .Back home in Kerala, we make ada at home using rice flour,but here I used the ready made rice ada(Priya Ada Mix or Nirapara Rice Ada ) which is available in Indian grocery stores for making this delicious payasam.
- Rice Ada(small)- 1/2 cup
- Sugar – 1 cups (or add according to your taste)
- Cardamom (powdered) – 2 tsp
- Milk – 1 1/2 litres
- Water – 250 ml
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Raisins(optional) – 6
- Boil water in a large vessel. Wash ada and soak ada in boiled water for 20 minutes.Drain water and keep aside.
- Boil milk and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker,Add 1/2 liter milk and 1/4 litre of water to it. Let ada cook on medium flame for one whistle.The ada will become soft.
- Transfer the cooked ada into a heavy bottomed pan.Add the remaining milk to it and stir well.Once it starts to boil, add sugar to it and stir well.
- Once it becomes thick and when the color changes , add cardamom powder to it.
- You need to stir continuously till the mix reduces to 3/4 th and get light pink color .
- Remove from fire.
- Heat little ghee in a pan. Roast raisins and add it to payasam as a garnish to it.
- To get more pink color,what I did is caramelize sugar by dissolving 1 tbsp of sugar with little water in a heavy pan. Bring it to boil and allow the color to golden brown. Pour the caramel into the payasam and stir well.
- Yummy ada payasam can be served hot or chilled.
i wish all my readers a happy and prosperous Vishu.
Aviyal is a traditional recipe of Kerala and no sadhya is complete without aviyal.:)
- Beans(cut lengthwise) – 1/2 cup
- Drumstick(cut lenthwise,medium) – 2
- Carrot – 3
- Plantain/Raw Banana – 2
- Elephant Yam – 1/4 cup
- Snake Gourd – 1/4 cup
- String Beans -1/2 cup
- Bitter Gourd -1/4 cup
- Ash gourd -1/4 cup
- Tindora(kovakka) – 1/4 cup
- Green Chilly -5
- Turmeric Powder -1 tsp
- Chilly Powder –1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Curd(sour) – 2 cup
- Coconut(grated) -1 cup
- Coconut oil – 3 tbsp
- Curry leaves – a bunch
- Salt – as per taste
- Clean and cut all the vegetables lengthwise.
- Boil the vegetables with turmeric ,chilly powder, salt and little water.
- Grind grated coconut,green chilly, cumin seeds, a pinch of turmeric powder and curry leaves together to make a coarse paste.
- Once the vegetables are properly cooked, add curd to it and stir well.
- Then add coconut paste and mix well. cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Once the raw smell goes,Turn off the stove
- Add coconut oil mixed with water to it.
- Garnish with curry leaves
- Serve with Rice.