This is an simple and tasty upma which can be prepared using leftover idiyappam.
- Idiyappam – 5 nos
- Carrot – 1/4 cup
- Onion(medium,chopped) –1
- Turmeric powder-1 pinch
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Cashewnuts – 1tbsp
- Raisins –1 tbsp
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Cut the idiyappam into small pieces and keep aside.
- heat ghee in a frying pan. Splutter mustard seeds and add cashewnuts,raisins and saute it.
- Add finely chopped onions and carrots.Add curry leaves and stir fry for a minute.
- Add turmeric powder,salt and idiyappam.Mix well.Remove from fire.
- Serve hot as evening snack.
If you are tired of making the same old fish curry or fish thoran, try this stir fried spicy fish roast.This is quick and easy to make and goes well with rice as side dish.
- Fish(boneless) – 250 gms
- Onion –1
- Ginger paste – 1 tsp
- Garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Green Chilly – 3
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder –1/4 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder –1 tsp
- Coriander powder –2 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coconut bits (thengakothu) – 1/4 cup
For Marinating fish
- Ginger-garlic paste –2 tsp
- Vinegar – 1tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4tsp
- Pepper powder – 1tsp
- red Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
- Rice flour – 1 tbsp
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Coconut Oil
- Marinate fish with the above ingredients listed for marinating.Keep in the refrigerator for 1- 2 hours.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry fish pieces.
- In the same pan,add 2 tbsp of oil.Saute coconut bits.once it is light brown in color, add chopped onion,ginger-garlic paste ,curry leaves,green chilly and saute well.
- Add turmeric powder,chilly powder,coriander powder and stir well not to get burned.Add vinegar to it.
- Add fried fish pieces and curry leaves to it.Mix well.Add 1/4 cup of water and stir well.Cover and cook till dry.
- Finally add pepper powder to it.
- Remove from fire and serve warm with rice as side dish.
Recipe Source:Ammachiyude Adukkala.
This tea time snack is easy to make with less ingredients.It is prepared using coconut and rice flour and deep fried in oil.
Rice flour (fine powder) – 3 cups
Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
sesame seeds/Ellu –1/2 tsp
cumin seeds/jeerakam – 1/2 tsp
Butter –4 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1 pinch
Boil water and add rice flour into it and make a smooth dough like idyappam dough.
Add ingredients 2 to 7 listed above and mix well using hand.
Make medium balls out of the mix and flatten it between the palms to make vada shape.
Heat oil in a kadai and fry the vadas till golden brown.
Serve as a tea time snack.