Puli inji is made with ginger,tamarind,jaggery in sweet and tangy sauce. This is a popular kerala sadhya dish and commonly served in sadhya during festivals like Onam,Vishu or wedding functions.I tried once and it didn’t came out good. Then I watched the youtube video of my blogger friend veena with detailed explanation and followed her recipe.Hope my readers will love this easy recipe and try at home.
- Ginger(finely chopped) – 150gms
- Green Chilly(cut into round pieces) – 4
- Tamarind – 3 lemon sized
- Jaggery cubes(make syrup) – 3 medium size cubes
- Mustard seeds – 1tbsp
- Dry Red Chilly – 3
- Red chilly powder – 1tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves
- Coconut Oil
- peel off the outer skin of ginger and cut into long pieces. Then finely grate into small pieces .Take water in a bowl, add sat to it and soak the ginger pieces in1 tbsp of salt water for 10 minutes.Drain the water using strainer and again soak in salt water for 10 minutes.Drain and repeat the same soaking process for 10 minutes. This is to avoid ginger getting sticky while frying.
- Soak tamarind in hot water for 30 minutes. strain the water.
- In a pressure cooker, Add tamarind water,red chilly powder,turmeric powder and salt. Mix well.cover and cook on low flame for 20 minutes.
- In a pan,melt jaggery cubes. take care not to let the syrup be thick.
- Heat oil in a pan.Roast ginger pieces on medium flame till crispy and light brown.Drain the ginger pieces.Crush half quantity of fried ginger pieces in a blender.
- Heat oil in a pan.Splutter mustard seeds,Dry red chilly,green chilly,curry leaves,tamarind water and stir well.Add 1/4 cup water,jaggery water(add according to sweetness),crushed ginger,remaining fried ginger pieces and mix well.Let it boil on medium flame till thick and reduced to half.
- Once it is cool, it will be more thicker.Transfer into a dry glass jar and store in refrigerator for a week or so.
- You can make this in advance for vishu or onam and can preserve it.
- injipuli tastes great with Rice.