Chakka Unniyappam/Jackfruit Unniyappam
Unniyappam is a popular sweet in kerala cuisine.This is prepared using jackfruit preserve(chakka Varatti).Chakka Varatti is prepared using ripe jack fruit,ghee and jaggery into a thick paste or jam like consistency.
- Jackfruit Preserve/Chakka Varatti – 1 cup
- Raw Rice/Pachari/Sona Masoori Rice – 1 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coconut bits/Thengakothu – 2 Tbsp
- Jaggery – 5 cubes
- Salt – a pinch
- Baking Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Ghee – For Frying
- Soak rice in water for 6 hrs.Wash and Drain.
- Heat ghee in a pan.Roast coconut bits till golden brown.
- Boil 1 cup of water and jaggery. Melt the jaggery to get a thick syrup.Strain to remove Impurities.keep aside to cool.
- Grind raw rice with 1 cup melted Jaggery into a coarse paste.Add cardamom powder, coconut bits,salt and baking powder.The batter should be thick(like Iddly batter) in consistency.
- Let it rest for 5 hours.
- After resting,if the batter is too thick,you can add 1/3 cup of water or jaggery syrup and mix.
- Heat ghee or Coconut oil in a unniyappam pan.Once oil starts to bubble,Pour 1 tbsp or 3/4th of batter into each hole.
- Once one side is cooked, turn to the other side .It takes 3-5 minutes to get cooked on one side.
- Cook both sides golden brown in color.Remove the unniyappam from the pan.
- Serve with Evening Tea.
- If the batter is too watery,it will absorb more oil.
- Cook the unniyappam on low flame.Other wise inner part will not cook properly.
Do Check out recipe of kerala style soft unniyappam :Unniyappam