Varutharacha Chicken Curry is quite popular in Malabar side of Kerala and this is mainly prepared by adding roasted coconut with spices.This tastes great with Kerala porotta or Ghee rice.
- Chicken –1/2 kg
- Onion (chopped) –2
- Green chilly(cut lengthwise) – 4
- Ginger – 1 “ piece
- Garlic pods –5
- Tomato (chopped) – 2
- Grated Coconut - 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder –1tsp
- Coriander powder – 2tsp
- Fennel seeds (perumjeerakam) –1/2 tsp
- Shallots – 5
- Cardamom –2
- Cloves – 3
- Cinnamon stick – 1 small piece
- Curry leaves
- Coriander leaves
- Pudina(mint) leaves
- Water –1/2 cup
- Heat a pan and dry roast grated coconut,shallots,cardamom,cloves,cinnamon till coconut becomes brown in color.Grind the mix with 1/2 with water into a fine paste.
- Heat Pressure cooker and add oil .Saute chopped onions,green chilly,ginger-garlic paste, and chopped tomatoes.
- Add turmeric powder,coriander powder,red chilly powder,fennel seeds powder,and saute well.once the raw smell goes,add the chicken pieces to it. Add 1 cup of water to it and mix.
- Cover with the lid and cook for 2 whistles.once the steam is gone,open the lid and stir well.
- Finally add coconut paste ,curry leaves,Coriander leaves,pudina leaves to it and let it boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Yummy chicken curry is ready to serve .
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]Kerala Style Varutharacha Chicken Curry/Varutharacha Kozhi curry (വറുത്തരച്ച കോഴി കറി),