I wish you all a happy sree Krishna jayanthi and on this special occasion I made burfi with almonds.Almonds are a good source of protein and this is a perfect healthy and nutritious sweet for kids.
Almonds – 1/2 cup
Milk – 3/4 cup
Milkmaid/Condensed Milk –1/2 tin
Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
Ghee – 4 tbsp
Milk powder – 4tbsp
Soak almonds in warm water for 1 hour. Peel off the outer skin and grind the almonds into a fine coarse paste with 1/4 cup of milk.
Heat a heavy bottomed pan. Add almond paste,remaining milk and ghee to it.Stir continuously on low flame.
When the mix starts to thicken,add milkmaid,cardamom powder and milk powder to it. Stir continuously till the mixture thickens to form a dough like consistency and starts leaving the sides of the pan.
Remove from fire.
Spread the mix into a plate greased with ghee.
Let it cool for 30 minutes.
Cut into squares or desired shapes.
Garnish with almonds.
Store in a airtight container.
This is my first post of 2013 and I am going to start the new year by sharing a sweet and delicious recipe of Mysore Pak.It is a popular sweet dish prepared using ghee,sugar and gram flour.It is a royal delicacy from Mysore palace and commonly served during festivals like Diwali.
Hope you all will try this soft and delicious Mysore pak at home.
- Besan/Gram flour(kadala maavu) – 1 1/2 cups
- Water – 3/4 cup
- Sugar – 3 cups
- Ghee – 2 1/2 cup
- Baking soda – 2 pinches
- Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in a heavy bottomed pan and roast the gram flour till light brown and nice aroma comes.Once it is cool,sieve the flour.
- Transfer it into a bowl.Add 2-3 tbsp of melted ghee to the flour and mix well to a smooth paste .This is to prevent lumps while adding it to the sugar syrup.
- Heat the same pan and add sugar and water to it.let it boil.
- In the mean time, heat ghee in another pan on low flame.
- Once sugar syrup reaches thread like consistency,(when sugar syrup is placed between thumb and index finger,it should stick to form a string), keep the flame to low and sprinkle flour slowly and keep on stirring.
- Add 1/2 cup ghee to it and keep on stirring.while adding ghee, it will froth up and color changes.
- Add the remaining ghee to it and once the flour absorbs all the ghee and mixture become thick,add baking powder to it.Stir well.
- After adding baking powder,bubbles arise and it starts leaving the sides of the pan.
- Turn off the flame and immediately transfer the hot mix into a greased plate.
- Make sure to spread the mixture evenly on all sides.
- Cut into desired shapes using a knife when it is warm.(Once it is cool it will be too hard to cut it .)
- Let it cool completely and slowly remove the pieces from the plate.
- Store them in a air tight container at room temperature.
Jalebi is a popular sweet served during festivals like Diwali and it is considered as the national sweet of India according to Wikipedia.Kerala jalebis are prepared using urad daal and pour the batter into oil in circular shapes and then soak in sugar syrup.It is either served warm or at room temperature.
- Urad dal (soak in water for 1 hour) – 1 cup
- Sugar –2 cups
- Raw Rice(pachari) – 1 tsp
- Water(for making sugar syrup) – 1 1/4 cup
- Rose water – 1 tbsp
- Food color(yellow) – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – for frying
- Grind soaked urad dal and rice with 1/2 cup of water into a smooth paste( it should be dropping consistency).Don’t let the batter to get ferment.
- Add food color to it and mix well.
- Pour the batter into a ketchup dispensing bottle.
- In the mean time,make sugar syrup by boiling sugar and water Once it starts to boil,add rose water and a pinch of food color. Turn the flame to low.The syrup should not be thread like consistency.The syrup should be warm all the time while frying jalebis.
- On another stove,Heat oil in a wide pan on medium flame.Once the oil is hot,hold the ketchup dispenser over hot oil and squeeze the batter into round coiled circles several at a time. Fry them on both sides for 1 minute and immediately transfer it into the warm sugar syrup.
- Let it soak in the sugar syrup for 2-3 minutes .
- Remove the soaked jalebis into a plate.
- Serve warm.
Tips to make good jalebis
- Fry jalebis on medium flame.
- The sugar syrup should be warm all the time and if it becomes thicker, add some more water to it to get correct consistency.
- Use a wide saucepan for frying so that oil will spread evenly.
Recipe Source:Lakshmi Nair