This is my first post of 2013 and I am going to start the new year by sharing a sweet and delicious recipe of Mysore Pak.It is a popular sweet dish prepared using ghee,sugar and gram flour.It is a royal delicacy from Mysore palace and commonly served during festivals like Diwali.
Hope you all will try this soft and delicious Mysore pak at home.
- Besan/Gram flour(kadala maavu) – 1 1/2 cups
- Water – 3/4 cup
- Sugar – 3 cups
- Ghee – 2 1/2 cups
- Baking soda – 2 pinches
- Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in a heavy bottomed pan and roast the gram flour till light brown and nice aroma comes.Once it is cool,sieve the flour.
- Transfer it into a bowl.Add 2-3 tbsp of melted ghee to the flour and mix well to a smooth paste .This is to prevent lumps while adding it to the sugar syrup.
- Heat the same pan and add sugar and water to it.let it boil.
- In the mean time, heat ghee in another pan on low flame.
- Once sugar syrup reaches thread like consistency,(when sugar syrup is placed between thumb and index finger,it should stick to form a string), keep the flame to low and sprinkle flour slowly and keep on stirring.
- Add 1/2 cup ghee to it and keep on stirring.while adding ghee, it will froth up and color changes.
- Add the remaining ghee to it and once the flour absorbs all the ghee and mixture become thick,add baking powder to it.Stir well.
- After adding baking powder,bubbles arise and it starts leaving the sides of the pan.
- Turn off the flame and immediately transfer the hot mix into a greased plate.
- Make sure to spread the mixture evenly on all sides.
- Cut into desired shapes using a knife when it is warm.(Once it is cool it will be too hard to cut it .)
- Let it cool completely and slowly remove the pieces from the plate.
- Store them in a air tight container at room temperature.