I wish you all a happy sree Krishna jayanthi and on this special occasion I made burfi with almonds.Almonds are a good source of protein and this is a perfect healthy and nutritious sweet for kids.
Almonds – 1/2 cup
Milk – 3/4 cup
Milkmaid/Condensed Milk –1/2 tin
Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
Ghee – 4 tbsp
Milk powder – 4tbsp
Soak almonds in warm water for 1 hour. Peel off the outer skin and grind the almonds into a fine coarse paste with 1/4 cup of milk.
Heat a heavy bottomed pan. Add almond paste,remaining milk and ghee to it.Stir continuously on low flame.
When the mix starts to thicken,add milkmaid,cardamom powder and milk powder to it. Stir continuously till the mixture thickens to form a dough like consistency and starts leaving the sides of the pan.
Remove from fire.
Spread the mix into a plate greased with ghee.
Let it cool for 30 minutes.
Cut into squares or desired shapes.
Garnish with almonds.
Store in a airtight container.
This is a different style of spicy mushroom masala prepared using spices in a rich and thick gravy. This tastes best with roti.
- Button Mushroom – 1 cup
- Capsicum (chopped,red/green) – 1/2 cup
- Onion(Finely chopped) – 1
- Tomato(finely chopped) –1
- Ginger-garlic paste- 1 tbsp
- Green Chilly – 1
- Turmeric powder – 2 tsp
- Kashmiri red chilly Powder – 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala powder – 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds(perum jeerakam) powder –1 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1tsp
- Cashewnut or Almond paste – 1 tbsp
- Butter – 1tbsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Coriander leave s- to garnish
- Clean the mushrooms and cut into 4 pieces. Marinate mushrooms with 1/2 tsp turmeric powder,1 tsp red chilly powder,1 tsp pepper powder ,1/2 tsp fennel seeds powder and salt. Keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat little oil in a pan. Stir fry the marinated mushrooms in oil for 2 minutes till mushrooms turn light brown.Transfer it to a bowl.
- Heat butter in a pan. Add capsicum to it and saute on medium flame for 2 minutes.Transfer the sauteed capsicum into a bowl.
- In the same pan, heat oil and saute ginger garlic paste, chopped onions and once onion turns light brown add finely chopped tomato to it.
- Mix turmeric powder,red chilly powder,coriander powder,fennel seeds powder,cumin powder with water to make a paste. This is to avoid burning of spice powders while adding to the pan.
- Add the paste to it and mix well.Add cashewnut paste to it .Stir well.
- Add sauteed mushrooms and capsicum cubes to it.Add little amount of water to it.Cover and cook on low flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from fire.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
This is a Gujarati style preparation of okra with spices,gram flour and grated coconut.
- Okra(Bhindi/Vendakka) – 500 gms
- Turmeric powder –1/2 tsp
- Red chilly Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Garam masala powder –1/2 tsp
- Grated coconut – 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves(chopped) – 2 tbsp
- Bengal Gram Flour(Besan/Kadala maavu) – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds –1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds(uluva) –1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida powder (kaayam) – 1/4 tsp
- Sugar –1tsp
- Oil – 3tsbp
- Coriander leaves – to garnish
- Grated Coconut – to garnish
- Wash okra well and wipe off with a clean towel. Trim both the ends.slit length wise and cut into medium pieces.
- In a bowl mix turmeric powder,chilly powder,coriander powder,sugar, garam masala powder,grated coconut,coriander leaves,besan and salt.
- Heat oil in a pan.Splutter mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds,asafoetida powder.Once it is done, add chopped okra pieces.
- Stir well and cook on low flame till okra is done.Take care not to get okra burned.
- Finally add the spicy powder mix to it and stir well. Cook on low flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from fire.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and grated coconut.
Recipe Source: Vanitha Magazine 2011