Bhindi Gujarati/Gujarati style Okra Subji
This is a Gujarati style preparation of okra with spices,gram flour and grated coconut.
- Okra(Bhindi/Vendakka) – 500 gms
- Turmeric powder –1/2 tsp
- Red chilly Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Garam masala powder –1/2 tsp
- Grated coconut – 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves(chopped) – 2 tbsp
- Bengal Gram Flour(Besan/Kadala maavu) – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds –1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds(uluva) –1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida powder (kaayam) – 1/4 tsp
- Sugar –1tsp
- Oil – 3tsbp
- Coriander leaves – to garnish
- Grated Coconut – to garnish
- Wash okra well and wipe off with a clean towel. Trim both the ends.slit length wise and cut into medium pieces.
- In a bowl mix turmeric powder,chilly powder,coriander powder,sugar, garam masala powder,grated coconut,coriander leaves,besan and salt.
- Heat oil in a pan.Splutter mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds,asafoetida powder.Once it is done, add chopped okra pieces.
- Stir well and cook on low flame till okra is done.Take care not to get okra burned.
- Finally add the spicy powder mix to it and stir well. Cook on low flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from fire.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and grated coconut.
Recipe Source: Vanitha Magazine 2011