Palada Payasam/Kerala Ada Payasam
Palada Payasam is a popular sweet prepared in Kerala during festivals like Onam ,Vishu or wedding occasions.Traditionally, Palada payasam is prepared using rice ada, milk and sugar without raisins and cashews .Back home in Kerala, we make ada at home using rice flour,but here I used the ready made rice ada(Priya Ada Mix or Nirapara Rice Ada ) which is available in Indian grocery stores for making this delicious payasam.
- Rice Ada(small)- 1/2 cup
- Sugar – 1 cups (or add according to your taste)
- Cardamom (powdered) – 2 tsp
- Milk – 1 1/2 litres
- Water – 250 ml
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Raisins(optional) – 6
- Boil water in a large vessel. Wash ada and soak ada in boiled water for 20 minutes.Drain water and keep aside.
- Boil milk and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker,Add 1/2 liter milk and 1/4 litre of water to it. Let ada cook on medium flame for one whistle.The ada will become soft.
- Transfer the cooked ada into a heavy bottomed pan.Add the remaining milk to it and stir well.Once it starts to boil, add sugar to it and stir well.
- Once it becomes thick and when the color changes , add cardamom powder to it.
- You need to stir continuously till the mix reduces to 3/4 th and get light pink color .
- Remove from fire.
- Heat little ghee in a pan. Roast raisins and add it to payasam as a garnish to it.
- To get more pink color,what I did is caramelize sugar by dissolving 1 tbsp of sugar with little water in a heavy pan. Bring it to boil and allow the color to golden brown. Pour the caramel into the payasam and stir well.
- Yummy ada payasam can be served hot or chilled.