This is the first post of 2015 and I wish all my readers a prosperous new year ahead.This recipe is adapted from Kairali TV cookery show long time back.This dish is served in “five star Thattukada” Restaurant in Manathavady.This spicy and yummy chicken dish goes well with rice.
- Chicken –500 gms
- Egg –1
- Corn flour –1 tbsp
- Chat masala – 1 tsp
- Chicken tandoori Masala – 1tsp
- Mustard seeds-1 tsp
- Potato(Medium) – 1
- Carrot –1
- capsicum –1
- Coconut bits(thengakothu) – 2tbsp
- Ginger(chopped) – 1tsp
- Garlic (chopped) – 1 tbsp
- Onion(chopped) –1
- Red chilly sauce –1 tbsp
- Green chilly Sauce- 1 tbsp
- Shallots(cut into round pieces) –5
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Pepper powder- 1tbsp
- Tomato(chopped) -1
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Coriander leaves (chopped) – to garnish
- Make a batter with ingredients numbered 2 to 5 and marinate chicken pieces in it and keep aside for 2 hours.
- Cut vegetables lengthwise. cook veggies with little water in microwave on high power for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan for frying,Fry chicken pieces till half cooked.
- Heat 3 tbsp of oil in another pan.Add mustard seeds and let it splutter. once it is done add chopped onions, ginger, garlic,chopped tomatoes and saute well.
- Add boiled vegetables,coconut bits,red chilly sauce,turmeric powder,pepper powder,shallots and saute well.
- Finally add fried chicken pieces to it and stir well and let it coat with the masala.
- Add curry leaves and coriander leaves to it and mix well.Remove from fire.
- Serve with rice or roti.
Sambhar is quite popular in south Indian cuisine and it is prepared using daal and various vegetables like shallots,ladies finger, brinjal and drumsticks.But this one is prepared using Ivy gourd and Ridge gourd,both veggies are nutritious and good source of fiber.This curry can be served with iddly,dosa or Rice.
- Toor dal(Parippu) – 100 gms
- Kovakka(tindora/Ivy gourd,cut lengthwise) – 100gm
- Peechinga(Ridge Gourd/Turai,cut into 1/2” lengthwise) – 100 gms
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2tbsp
- Red chilly powder – 2 tbsp
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Cumin seeds(jeerakam) – 1/4 tsp
- Tomato (medium,chopped) – 1
- Shallots- 6
- Tamarind – size of a gooseberry
- Sambhar Masala – 2 tsp
- Curry leaves
- Coconut oil
- Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
- Dry red chilly –2
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Pressure cook daal with 1 sprig curry leaf,turmeric powder and 2 shallots.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan.Roast grated coconut,red chilly powder,coriander powder ,cumin seeds,shallots (4),curry leaves till coconut turns brown in color.Grind it into a fine paste.
- Once daal is cooked well, open the lid and add the veggies and salt.
- Let it cook and once the vegetables are cooked well,add tamarind mixed with 1/2 cup of water to it. Mix well.
- Once tamarind is boiled well,add chopped tomato,Sāmbhar masala powder and coconut paste.mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from fire.
- For seasoning,heat oil in a pan.Splutter mustard seeds,once it is done add red chilly and fenugreek seeds.Add it to the curry.
- Garnish with Curry leaves.
- Serve with Rice.
Pomegranate raita is healthy and prepared using less ingredients.It tastes slightly different from the usual one.The only difficult part while preparing this raita is to separate the aril(seed casings)seeds.Freezing the entire fruit makes it easier to separate the Arils.This tangy raita goes great with biriyani, paratha or rotis.
Pomegranate juice is rich in vitamin c and high fibre.This is widely used in Ayurvedic medicines and good remedy for diarrhea, dysentery and intestinal parasites. The seeds and juice are considered a tonic for the heart and throat and also used as eye drops to slow the development of cataracts.
An very effective way of quickly harvesting the arils is to cut the pomegranate in half, score each half of the exterior rind four to six times, hold the pomegranate half over a bowl and smack the rind with a large spoon. The arils should eject from the pomegranate directly into the bowl, leaving only a dozen or more deeply embedded arils to remove.(Source :Wiki)
- Pomegranate seeds – 1 cup
- Onion(finely chopped,Medium) – 1
- Green Chilly (chopped) – 3
- Curd – 1 cup
- Coriander leaves(chopped) – 3 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Cut the fruit and separate the seeds.
- In a bowl,Add curd,chopped onions,green chilly,coriander leaves and salt. Stir well.
- Finally Add pomegranate seeds to it and mix it.Raita will be pink in color.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.Serve with Rice or Roti.