Chole-Palak (Chickpeas and Spinach Curry)
Popeye is the favorite of my kids who always eats spinach to become super strong and so do I tell my kids to follow him too his healthy eating habits 🙂
Spinach is rich in calories and green in color which provides more nutrients than any other food. Recently I read that it is good to have spinach atleast twice a week to avoid vision related issues. So no matter how you consume it make sure you keep spinach as one of the primary vegetables in your daily diet.
- Chick peas(Garbanzo beans/Chole) – 1/2 cup
- Spinach(palak/Cheera) – 1 cup
- Green Chilly – 3
- Ginger (chopped) – 1/2 tsp
- Tomato – 1
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cloves –3
- Cinnamon stick – 1” piece
- Cardamom – 2
- Cumin seeds –3/4 tsp
- Asafoetida powder – 1/4 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Tamarind paste – 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves
- Soak chickpeas overnight .pressure cook till it is soft.
- Clean and wash spinach.chop the leaves. If spinach is not available you can substitute with fenugreek(methi)leaves.
- Fry Grind clove,cardamom,cinnamon stick(1/2”piece) in a pan and grind into a powder.Garam masala is ready.
- Heat oil(Ghee) in a pan. add cumin seeds and splutter.then add fenugreek seeds, cinnamon stick and saute.
- Once it is done, add green chilly(slit) and chopped ginger and saute well.
- Add asafoetida powder,turmeric powder and chopped spinach leaves and cook.
- Once the leaves are soft,add salt to it and mix.add chopped tomato and saute.
- Add boiled chickpeas (keep aside 4tbsp of chickpeas and mash with a spoon) with 1 cup of water.once it starts boiling, reduce to low flame and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the mashed chickpeas,garam masala and tamarind paste to the curry.Mix well and cook.
- Once the gravy is dry, switch off the stove.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with rotis or chappathi.