Ethakka Thoran ( pachakaya upperi)
Green plantains (pachakaya) are very popular in south India. In Malabar area, we call upperi for thoran or mezhukkupuratti. But in central part of Kerala, upperi is banana chips :). You can make upperi with long beans, carrot, yam, bitter-gourd, etc. This side dish goes well with rice and curd.
- Raw Plantain(Banana) – 3
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Shallots – 7
- Green chilly ( cut lengthwise) – 3
- Dry red chilly – 4
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves
- Peel off plantain and cut into small pieces.
- Boil with little salt and turmeric powder till soft.
- Heat oil in a pan. splutter mustard seeds,curry leaves and dry red chilly.
- Add chopped shallots,green chilly and saute well.
- Add boiled plantain and stir slowly.
- Add grated coconut(grind it to a coarse paste) to it and mix well.
- Garnish with curry leaves.