Kaalan is a popular traditional dish of Kerala and it is a must in Kerala sadhya..It tastes great if you prepare this curry in a kalchatti(soapstone pots). Kalchattis are easily available in Kerala. Since i couldn’t find good kalchattis here in Singapore,i prepared this in a normal cooking vessel. This curry is prepared with vegetables like plaintain and elephant yam in a coconut-curd mix and it goes well with kerala matta rice.
- Plaintain(nenthrakaya) – 1 cup
- Elephant Yam (chena) – 1 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Green Chilly – 3
- Curd(sour) – 2 cups
- Red chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 5 sprigs
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Dry red chilly –4
- Fenugreek seeds (uluva) – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1tsp
- In a pan,Cook diced plantain,yam with turmeric powder and salt till vegetables are soft.
- Grind grated coconut,red chilly powder,cumin seeds,1 sprig curry leaves,green chilly into a smooth paste.
- Once the vegetables are cooked well,add beaten sour curd and stir well to avoid curdling.When it is reduced to half,add coconut paste and let it boil.
- Turn off the heat and add 1 tsp of sugar to it.Add curry leaves to it.
- Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds,dry red chilly,fenugreek seeds and add the seasonings to the curry.
- Immediately cover with a lid for 15 minutes.
- Serve with Rice.