Bhindi Dakshini is prepared with fried okra in a masala gravy and finally add fresh grated coconut to it as a garnish.This goes well with roti.This recipe is adapted from Nita Mehta’s cookbook “Favourite Recipes”.After having this yummy bhindi curry with chappathi ,this is one of my favorites too.:-)Enjoy!
- Ladies finger(Bhindi/Okra) – 250 gms
- Onion(large,chopped) –1
- Tomatoes(chopped) –2
- Green Chilly (deseeded and chopped) –1
- Chilly Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Thick Curd(beaten till smooth) – 3 tbsp
- Chana daal – 1 tsp
- urad daal – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds (jeerakam) – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chilly – 2
- Curry leaves – 10 –12
- Salt – 3/4 tsp
- Grated fresh coconut – for garnish
- Wash okra and wipe dry.cut the tip of the head of each okra leaving the pointed end as it is. Now cut the bhindi vertically from the middle making 2 smaller pieces from each okra.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and deep fry the bhindi on medium heat in 2 batches..Do not over fry the okra ,it should retain its green color.drain on a paper napkin.keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp in a pan. Add chana dal and urad dal and stir for a few seconds till it changes its color.
- Add cumin seeds,mustard seeds and dry red chilies.once it starts to splutter add curry leaves,chopped green chilli and onion.cook till onion turns light brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes till soft.
- Add the dry masala powders and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup of water and the fried bhindi.cover and cook for 1 minute.
- Add beaten curd.cook on medium heat till the water from the curd evaporates.
- stir for 3-4 minutes till the masala coats the bhindi.
- Garnish with grated coconut.
- serve with chappati and raita.