Kanchipuram Idli/Kancheepuram idli (കാഞ്ചീപുരം ഇഡ്ഡലി)
Kanchipuram is a temple city in the state of Tamil Nadu and it is very famous for hand woven silk sarees.This idli is a speciality of kanchipuram and it is unique in taste.This recipe is adapted from Sanjeev kapoor’s Cookbook “DAKSHIN DELIGHTS”.According to him,Steamed foods are healthy and retain nutrients,flavor,color and can be prepared without oil,butter or salt.This spicy iddli goes well with sambhar or coconut chutney.
- Idli Rice – 1 cup
- Split Black gram dal (Urad dal) – 1/2 cup
- Split Bengal gram dal(Chana dal) – 2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds (uluva) – 3/4 tsp
- Black pepper corns – 20
- Turmeric Powder –1 tsp
- Asafoetida powder – a pinch
- Yogurt – 1 cup
- Ghee –1/2 cup
- Salt –to taste
- Banana leaves(tender) – a few
- Soak rice and split black gram separately for 4 hours.Drain and grind to a smooth paste with sufficient water to make a thick batter.
- Add turmeric powder,pepper corns,split bengal gram dal,asafoetida,yogurt,ghee and salt.
- Mix well and let it stand overnight to ferment.
- Whip the batter and adjust the consistency.The batter should be fairly thick.
- Heat sufficient water in a iddli steamer.line the idli moulds with the banana leaves and pour the batter into them.
- Place them in a steamer and steam for about 15 minutes or till done.
- Serve with sambhar and coconut chutney