Kerala Style Varutharacha Chicken Curry/Varutharacha Kozhi curry (വറുത്തരച്ച കോഴി കറി)
Varutharacha Chicken Curry is quite popular in Malabar side of Kerala and this is mainly prepared by adding roasted coconut with spices.This tastes great with Kerala porotta or Ghee rice.
- Chicken –1/2 kg
- Onion (chopped) –2
- Green chilly(cut lengthwise) – 4
- Ginger – 1 “ piece
- Garlic pods –5
- Tomato (chopped) – 2
- Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder –1tsp
- Coriander powder – 2tsp
- Fennel seeds (perumjeerakam) –1/2 tsp
- Shallots – 5
- Cardamom –2
- Cloves – 3
- Cinnamon stick – 1 small piece
- Curry leaves
- Coriander leaves
- Pudina(mint) leaves
- Water –1/2 cup
- Heat a pan and dry roast grated coconut,shallots,cardamom,cloves,cinnamon till coconut becomes brown in color.Grind the mix with 1/2 with water into a fine paste.
- Heat Pressure cooker and add oil .Saute chopped onions,green chilly,ginger-garlic paste, and chopped tomatoes.
- Add turmeric powder,coriander powder,red chilly powder,fennel seeds powder,and saute well.once the raw smell goes,add the chicken pieces to it. Add 1 cup of water to it and mix.
- Cover with the lid and cook for 2 whistles.once the steam is gone,open the lid and stir well.
- Finally add coconut paste ,curry leaves,Coriander leaves,pudina leaves to it and let it boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Yummy chicken curry is ready to serve .