Kumbalanga Moru Curry
Moru curry or kalan is a traditional Kerala dish and it can be prepared with yam, raw plantain or winter-melon. This is a curry with no daal and it tastes good with brown rice.
- Wintermelon – 250gms
- Green chilly – 3
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Curd (thick) – 1 cup
- Cumin seeds(jeera) – 1/4 tsp
- Red chilly powder – 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1/4 tsp
- Dry red chilly – 2
- Fenugreek seeds (uluva) – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves
- Chop winter-melon into medium pieces and cook with little turmeric powder, red chilly powder, salt and water.
- Grind grated coconut with jeera, curry leaves, green chilly to a fine paste.
- Add beaten curd to cooked wintermelon and stir well to avoid curdling.
- Once it becomes thick in consistency add coconut paste to it and boil for 2-3 mins.Remove from fire.
- Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds, dry chilly and fenugreek seeds and add it to the curry.
- Garnish with curry leaves.