Mixed Vegetable Korma/ Vegetable Kurma
Kurma is a popular Indian curry prepared using several vegetables in a rich and spicy aromatic gravy.it can be served with rice,roti or Kerala Appam.
- Potato(cut into cubes) – 1
- Green Peas –1/4 cup
- Cauliflower(cut into florets) – 1/2 cup
- Carrot (cut into cubes) –1/2 cup
- French Beans(cut into medium pieces) –1/2 cup
- Onion(chopped) –1/2 cup
- Ginger-Garlic paste –1 tsp
- Green chilly – 2
- Turmeric powder –1/2 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder –1 tsp
- Coriander powder –2 tsp
- Garam Masala powder – 1tsp
- Tomato puree – 2 tbsp
- Tomato(cut into cubes) – 1
- Bay leaves -2
- Oil – 3tbsp
- Coriander leaves – to garnish
For the paste
- Grated Coconut –1/4 cup
- Cashew nuts – 6
- Poppy seeds (kus kus) –1 tsp
- Fennel seeds (perum jeerakam) – 1tsp
- Boil green peas and keep aside.Steam cook the remaining vegetables.
- Soak cashew nuts and fennel seeds in warm water for 1 hour.wash kus kus thoroughly in cold water and drain.
- Grind together coconut,cashews,fennel seeds and poppy seeds into a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a pan.Add bay leaves,chopped onions ,ginger-garlic paste,chopped green chilly and saute it till onions are golden brown in color.
- Mix turmeric powder,red chilly powder,coriander powder,garam masala powder with little water(to avoid burning of spice powders) and add it to it.Fry for 1 minute.
- Add tomato puree,tomato cubes and coconut paste.Cook on medium flame and stir well till oil separates.
- Add 2 cups of warm water to it and mix well.cover and cook till gravy is thick in consistency.
- Finally add the steamed vegetables and boiled peas to it.Add salt to it.
- Cook on low flame for 2-3 minutes to get mixed well with the thick gravy.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Vegetable kurma is ready to serve with Appam or Roti.
Long time back, I had posted a different preparation of kurma recipe with fried cauliflower, paneer cubes and other vegetables.
Here is the link for the recipe:http://www.icookipost.com/2007/10/08/vegetable-kuruma/