Paneer Tava Masala
This is a Punjabi version of paneer masala recipe. It is prepared with cottage cheese and a spice mix of ajwain and cumin seeds.It goes well with Rotis and Rice.
- Paneer (cut into cubes) – 2 cups
- Fenugreek leaves(kasoori Methi,crushed) – 1 tbsp
- Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chat Masala – 1 tsp
- Ajwain(carom seeds) –1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds (jeera) – 1/2 tsp
- Onion(chopped) – 1/2 cup
- Garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Green Chilly(chopped) – 2
- Coriander(Dhania) powder – 1 tsp
- Tomato puree- 1/2 cup
- Caraway seeds(shah jeera,roasted) – 1/4 tsp
- Fresh Cream – 2tbsp
- Punjabi Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
- Oil –6 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Coriander leaves(chopped) – 2 tbsp
- Marinate the paneer cubes with dried fenugreek leaves,chilly powder,turmeric powder,chat masala and salt.Keep aside for 30 minutes
- Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a kadai.Shallow fry marinated paneer pieces till golden brown in color.Drain on tissue paper and keep aside.
- Heat the remaining oil on a tava and add the ajwain and cumin seeds to it.
- When they crackle,add chopped onions and saute till they turn translucent.
- Add garlic paste,chopped green chilly,coriander powder,salt and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree and caraway seeds.Cook till the oil separates from the gravy.
- Add the fried paneer cubes,cream and Punjabi garam masala and mix gently.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- serve with roti or rice.
Recipe Source: “Punjabi Subzis “ by Tarla Dalal.