Vellappam and Green Peas Curry
- Raw Rice – 3 cups
- Cooked rice – 1/2 cups
- Grated Coconut – 1 cup
- Yeast – 1 tsp
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Rava(semolina) – 2 tsp
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Soak the rice for 6-8 hrs and drain it.
- Grind the soaked rice,cooked rice with grated coconut adding enough water in a mixer to a smooth batter.
- In a pan, heat 1/2 cup of rava with 1 1/2 cup of water on medium flame and keep stirring till rava becomes thick.Allow the gruel(kurukku) to cool down.
- Dissolve 1 tsp sugar and yeast in 1/4 cup of luke warm water and keep aside for 20 minutes to let it rise.(Do not add hot water as it will not rise)
- Add the yeast mix, gruel to the grinded rice and allow it to ferment for 8 hrs.
- Next day Add sugar,baking powder and salt according to your taste.
- Heat a non-stick pan or vellappachatti.Smear the appachatti lightly with oil. Pour a ladleful of batter into it.
- Take the appam chatti into both your hands and rotate in one direction to spread the batter all around the vessel with more batter in the middle.
- Cover it with a lid and let it cook for 2-3 mins until the edges of the appam turn slightly brown in color.once it is done,Slowly take out the appam with a spatula.
- Serve hot with peas curry ,egg roast or vegetable stew.
Green Peas Curry
- Green peas – 1 cups
- shallot – 4
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Tomato -1
- Ginger – 1″ piece
- Garlic flakes- 5
- Cloves – 3
- fennel seeds- 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Coconut oil
- Mustard seeds -1/4 tsp
- Dry red chilly -2
- Curry leaves
- Soak green peas in water for 3-4 hrs and pressure cook with little turmeric and salt.
- Heat oil in a pan . Fry shallot, grated coconut, ginger, garlic, cinnamon, cloves, fennel seeds and coriander seeds till light brown.Once it is cool,Grind it to a fine paste.
- Add chopped tomato pieces ,chilly powder to cooked green peas and boil for 3 mins.
- Add the coconut paste and boil for 3-4 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds, dry red chilly and add this to the curry.
- Garnish with curry leaves.