- Chicken – 1 kg
- Basmathi Rice(Jeera Rice) – 1 kg
- Onion – 6
- Ginger – 50 gms
- Garlic – 8
- Green Chilly – 4
- Curd – 1 cup
- Kus Kus (poppy seeds) – 2tsp
- Garam Masala powder – 3 tsp
- Coriander leaves – 2tbsp
- Pudina leaves – 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 2tbsp
- Lime juice – 2 tbsp
- Dalda (Ghee) – 250gms
- Cashew nuts -2tbsp
- Raisins – 2tbsp
For Making garam masala powder
- Cloves – 4
- Cardamom – 6
- shah jeera (caraway seeds) – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon stick -1 inch piece
- Nut meg (jathika) -1/4 piece
- Mace (jathi pathri) – 1 tsp
- Soak rice for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and add half of chopped onions and saute till it changes its color. Add ginger- garlic-green chilly paste, chopped green chilly and saute well.
- Add biriyani masala powder and once smell comes ,add chicken pieces to it and stir well.Add curd,kus kus,salt ,1/2 cup water and allow it to cook on medium flame.
- once chicken is half cooked, add lime juice, chopped curry leaves, coriander leaves and pudina leaves.once gravy becomes dry, remove from heat.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add the remaining chopped onions and fry to golden brown.fry cashews and raisins in the same ghee and keep aside.
- In the same pan, Add rice to it and fry for 5 ?10 minutes.Add required amount of water(double the quantity of rice),salt .cover and cook till done.
- In a lar ge pot, layer the chicken pieces first then sprinkle garam masala powder over it,put a second layer of rice.then put garam masala powder,fried onions, cashews,raisins and repeat this until everything is used up.Sprinkle fried onions and coriander leaves on top.
- Leave on low heat to keep it warm.
- Serve with Raita and pappadam.
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]Kerala Chicken Biriyani (Malabar Kozhi Biriyani),