Chicken Ghee Roast/Mangalore Style Spicy Chicken Ghee Roast
Chicken Ghee Roast is a popular delicacy of Mangalore.when I was looking for a authentic recipe in Google,I came across this yummy chicken ghee roast recipe on sailus food.Adding ghee enhances the flavor and this is a must try for chicken lovers.This is spicy and can be served with rice,ghee rice,fried rice or Roti.
- Chicken – 1 kg
- Yogurt(thick) – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder –1/2 tsp
- Lemon Juice –1 tbsp
- Dry red chilly – 10
- Black peppercorns –8
- Cloves –3
- Fenugreek seeds-a pinch
- Coriander seeds –1 1/2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Garlic flakes –8
- Tamarind Paste-1/2 tbsp
- Jaggery or sugar– 2 tsp
- Ghee –6 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Marinate chicken in curd,turmeric powder,lemon juice and 1/2 tsp of salt.Keep in refrigerator overnight.
- Heat a pan and dry roast red chillies on low flame and take care not to get burned.Remove from fire.
- In the same pan add 1 tsp of ghee and roast fenugreek seeds,cumin seeds,coriander seeds,cloves and peppercorns on low flame for 2-3 minutes.Remove from fire and let it cool.
- Grind the roasted red chillies and spices with garlic and tamarind into a fine paste.
- Heat 2 1/2 tbsp of ghee in a heavy bottomed pan.Add the marinated chicken pieces and cook on medium flame till it is 3/4th cooked.
- Remove the sauteed chicken pieces and keep aside.Transfer the liquid into another bowl.
- Heat remaining ghee in the same pan.Add the ground paste and saute on medium flame for 5-7 minutes till ghee separates.
- Add the chicken pieces to it and mix well.Also add the leftover liquid(while cooking chicken)and jaggery and cook on medium flame for 5 minutes.Add salt to taste and stir well.
- Cover and cook on low flame till chicken is coated with masala.Once it is cooked well, open the lid and dry roast for 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with curry leaves.Serve with rice or roti