Unniyappam/How to Make Kerala Unniyappam/Karolappam
This is the traditional style of making unniyappam.Unniyappam is popular in kerala cuisine.In some parts of malabar, it is called “Karolappam”.
- Raw Rice/Iddli Rice – 2 cups
- Jaggery(sharkkara) – 250 gms
- Small Banana ( Mysore pazham) – 2 -3 nos
- Coconut pieces(Thengakothu) – 1/4 cup
- Cardamom Powder – 7-8 nos
- Salt – 1 pinch
- Ghee or coconut oil (for frying) – 1/2 litre
- Soak rice for 4 hrs. Grind into a coarse paste.
- Melt jaggery with enough water to make syrup and strain to remove impurities. Let it cool.
- Dry roast coconut pieces in ghee till brown in color.
- Blend banana into a fine paste.
- To make a batter of thick consistency as you see in the below pic, mix well all the ingredients except coconut pieces and cardamom powder.
- Finally add thengakothu and cardamom powder and keep aside for 8 hrs.
- Heat kaarol(uniyappam pan) and fill ghee in each moulds and once it is hot, pour 1 tbsp of batter into each molds
- Reduce the flame and allow it to cook.
- Once it is golden color on one side, turn on to the other side and fry till golden brown in color.
- Remove from ghee and drain it to a tissue paper.
For Recipe Video :https://youtu.be/udZldTi6R7c